Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On route battery warm up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that have 2019.12.x, is there a visual indication somewhere when preheating is occurring ? I tried navigate to my nearest supercharger but didn't see any indication in battery settings. However, I was 17 minutes drive away so I thinking maybe it only starts once you're perhaps 10 minutes away ?

On-route warm-up only came in 2019.12.1.
2019.8.5 did not have this.

Lithium-Ion batteries have very peculiar temperature requirements.

For maximum STORAGE LIFE, you want the batteries as cold as possible.
For maximum POWER (charging, accelerating, discharging), you want it to be ~40-50C (100-120 F) - this is what On-Route battery warm-up and Ludicrous launches does.
For SAFE operation, the battery should not be used if its below 40 F (the car will warm up the battery in cold weather for this). It can cause lithium metal plating otherwise.

Reactions: Zoomit
I have the 2019.12.x, and I can't tell if the battery is warming. I set the route to supercharger which is 25 min away (part of the drive on local roads, part on highway). I always start out with a cold battery, and it charges at the same speed it always does even when there is no other Tesla plugged in at that station. How long does this battery warming take?