Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opti-Coat Pro Plus / film protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to get the Opti-Coat Pro + on my MX. I live in Northern California ,Sonoma County area and I got a quote for about $1850. This includes the wheels. Extra $120 for the glass. This is for the 7 year warranty coat. They have 3 & 5 year warranty which is cheaper . I am guessing the 7 year is thicker? Anyone know if this price is competitive or an I getting ripped off? This place came highly recommended to me.

Also, what are your thoughts on the protective film before ceramic coating? I don't drive much on the freeway Mostly in town driving. Is it worth it in my case? The film is so expensive.

Looking to get the Opti-Coat Pro + on my MX. I live in Northern California ,Sonoma County area and I got a quote for about $1850. This includes the wheels. Extra $120 for the glass. This is for the 7 year warranty coat. They have 3 & 5 year warranty which is cheaper . I am guessing the 7 year is thicker? Anyone know if this price is competitive or an I getting ripped off? This place came highly recommended to me.

Also, what are your thoughts on the protective film before ceramic coating? I don't drive much on the freeway Mostly in town driving. Is it worth it in my case? The film is so expensive.
I just spent about eight hours clay barring, polishing and then ceramic coating my x100d. It came out great only because I prepped very well so just make sure that they prep the car extremely well especially if you are going to pay that kind of money.

I skipped the wrap because it was very expensive and I would only do it if I was going to change the look of the car which I really want to get the stealth rap which gives the car more of a matte finish look.

I did however wrap the chrome trim pieces in a satin black which now I feel like I should have gone gloss black as I like the look of a more OEM look. Overall it did come out great

Wow good job doing that on your own. This place will detail my car and polish out paint imperfections etc prior to the Opti-Coat. Then I come back about 4 weeks later for a second detail job. Just wondering if anyone in the Sonoma County or the California bay area have any thoughts on the $1850 for this job with a 7 year warranty.

Wow good job doing that on your own. This place will detail my car and polish out paint imperfections etc prior to the Opti-Coat. Then I come back about 4 weeks later for a second detail job. Just wondering if anyone in the Sonoma County or the California bay area have any thoughts on the $1850 for this job with a 7 year warranty.
As long as they are prepping the car correctly did yes it would cost about that much as it really does take an extremely long time to do it correctly. Is your car brand new with less than a thousand miles or do you have some imperfections in your paint?

If there's not much to correct on your paint I would imagine you could do the entire process in under 8 hours for a single person so if you calculate one person at $100 an hour would be $800... Then the cost of the materials is definitely under $100 so I wouldn't pay more than 1000 dollars.

However if you have a bunch of scratches and spider webbing then it would definitely cost at least $1,500.

Reactions: Jen123
Brand new car with any 350 miles

yeah with only that few miles I would say there's probably not much of a correction you need to make you could almost get by without doing any clay barring...if you don't see any swirls or any scratches they would probably only need to do a mild polish and then the coding and two weeks later another coating.

All in all they would probably spend no more than 6 hours on the whole thing so yeah I wouldn't pay more than 750 or so they... Again that's only assuming that you don't have many swirls or scratches

Have you contacted Joe Torbati at Bay Area Detail in Fremont, he did the Opti-Coat on both my Telsa’s, the X was done 2 years ago and I think it was $850 which included paint correction as well.

Is this the owner of OCDetailing? If it is then he has drastically increased his price. He now charges $1995 for the model X Opti coat Pro Plus with a 7 year warranty. Others offer many levels of warranty like 3 year, 5 year and 7 year.

Does anyone know what the difference is? Does the 7-year have more coats of this stuff on it making it thicker? Maybe I should just go with the cheaper 3 year warranty if it's the same process and amount of product but you're just paying for the warranty. Who's to say these guys will even be in business in 7 years. Anyone know if the more you pay the more coats you get?

Is this the owner of OCDetailing? If it is then he has drastically increased his price. He now charges $1995 for the model X Opti coat Pro Plus with a 7 year warranty. Others offer many levels of warranty like 3 year, 5 year and 7 year.

Does anyone know what the difference is? Does the 7-year have more coats of this stuff on it making it thicker? Maybe I should just go with the cheaper 3 year warranty if it's the same process and amount of product but you're just paying for the warranty. Who's to say these guys will even be in business in 7 years. Anyone know if the more you pay the more coats you get?
Yes, wow did not realize he increased them that much.

I did my Model 3 With OCD in March 2018. I Got my X in December and OCD was booked until March 2019. Din´t want to wait so
I went with another shop. Full Front Xpel and Ceramic Pro Lifetime warranty the complete car, window tint front windows and chrome delete.

IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg

Skipping out on the paint protection film leaves you open to rock chips--big or small. If that's an outcome you're willing to accept then you don't have to do it.

However, I feel that if anyone cares enough about their paint to spend hundreds/thousands on ceramic coating and all the prep work that goes into it, would not leave rock chips to chance as much as possible, especially since it takes only 1 rock to cut through any coating you just put on.

The car looks beautiful. Can you see any seams? Can you tell the difference from the non film parts? Is your car really staying much cleaner with the ceramic coating on top? How much did that cost you?

I did my Model 3 With OCD in March 2018. I Got my X in December and OCD was booked until March 2019. Din´t want to wait so
I went with another shop. Full Front Xpel and Ceramic Pro Lifetime warranty the complete car, window tint front windows and chrome delete.

View attachment 368431 View attachment 368432 View attachment 368433