Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overpriced 2018 M3 for sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did it the night before the price drop: mileage in 2021 performance: 14000 miles, just out of curiosity because Carvana has been lowballing on Teslas for at least 2 months now. I will match the $100 Venmo offer if he can prove it. Furthermore, he claims and argues that Tesla iventory cars do not come with fsd, then admits they do, says it's a monthly subscription fee, then says he has a $35k offer from Carvana, then calls people clowns because they were correct about fsd, oh the irony. I usually don't comment or engage in conversational madness, but this is too much.🤣View attachment 895884
I never called anyone a clown. <- hard stop
carvana offer was $36k but is over a month old so no evidence available at time of post. used inventory did not use to come with FSD and this thread has clarified this for me and others so kudos to me for starting the conversation?
$34,975+$15k+$2k = more than $44k
All reasonable offers will be entertained :)

As a follow-up the logical reason behind the pricing I observed simply correlated to the price paid for the features at the time the car was purchased. It's not logical to compare buying a new one vs a used one because who in their right mind would buy a 4yr Tesla and then buy FSD ala cart for 15K?

I own a 2018 M3P with FSD and if I were to sell it today I would look at all the other cars similarly spec's/mileage (without FSD) to come up with an average and then determine how much of my original $5000 purchase price I want to try and recover.

Reactions: id10tfr33@gmai
as a former toyota salesman I would disagree with, "wholesale to retail in the used market isn’t usually a huge gap." flipping a customer to a used car was where I made the most money as there was more gross profit. granted that was a lifetime ago so perhaps the industry has changed.
I suppose “huge” is subjective. I agree that selling new is probably harder nowadays because customers are more price aware and masking invoice (but not holdback) is more difficult.

To me, “not huge” is 5k. I assume used car dealers bake in about 5k and it’s much easier to mask because you as a consumer typically can’t find wholesale prices and have no idea what they paid for that vehicle on trade in. I also understand why used car dealers have to bake more profit into these vehicles as they carry more risk on the whole. We needn’t look any further than the current situation now where a bunch of used dealers are sitting on Teslas that lost 10-20k overnight.

Reactions: id10tfr33@gmai
As a follow-up the logical reason behind the pricing I observed simply correlated to the price paid for the features at the time the car was purchased. It's not logical to compare buying a new one vs a used one because who in their right mind would buy a 4yr Tesla and then buy FSD ala cart for 15K?

I own a 2018 M3P with FSD and if I were to sell it today I would look at all the other cars similarly spec's/mileage (without FSD) to come up with an average and then determine how much of my original $5000 purchase price I want to try and recover.
you only paid $5k for FSD? also, curious as to how much you would ask for your car. I think an asking price of $44k isnt all that crazy considering buyers expect to pay ~10% less than asking price.

Last edited:
I suppose “huge” is subjective. I agree that selling new is probably harder nowadays because customers are more price aware and masking invoice (but not holdback) is more difficult.

To me, “not huge” is 5k. I assume used car dealers bake in about 5k and it’s much easier to mask because you as a consumer typically can’t find wholesale prices and have no idea what they paid for that vehicle on trade in. I also understand why used car dealers have to bake more profit into these vehicles as they carry more risk on the whole. We needn’t look any further than the current situation now where a bunch of used dealers are sitting on Teslas that lost 10-20k overnight.
educated consumers is why dealer fees skyrocketed prior to the pandemic. used car sales have always been more profitable than new. franchise dealers sell new so they can sell trades for profit and club ppl in the service lane. ACV for my car is $35k so $39k is a fair deal, just waiting for the right buyer to make that offer. wish me luck!

Performance model. 2 years newer. Roughly similar mileage. FSD. Both out of warranty. ~$3k cheaper.

Am I missing something here that makes early cars like this more desirable?

Performance model. 2 years newer. Roughly similar mileage. FSD. Both out of warranty. ~$3k cheaper.

Am I missing something here that makes early cars like this more desirable?
listed for $2400 less than mine with 17k more miles but is a nice car, hope they get asking price for all of our sakes :)

GLWS! I am hoping you get the price you ask for this car but sadly I am going to agree with others. Just my opinion but I would highly consider keeping the car if you don’t with to part with it for less than 39k. If this was 6 months ago you would have got more for the car but you missed that boat. With the looming recession, interest rates, Tesla price cuts and EV tax credit, a new buyer would be more attracted to buy new over used at this price IMO. Also FSD has shown to add about 2-3K average on second hand market. I would say keep the car or sell at lower price because the longer you hold the more the value will continue to tumble. Best of luck and hope I brought some insight!