Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint and Protection Film and Correction Costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been considering doing a paint correction and PPF to protect my lovely #209. I'm in the NYC area and wanted to know what people have paid to get this done?

It is going to vary much depending on the extent of the wrap. Just find a well reviewed shop for a quality paint correction. I had paint correction, the entire car coated with opticoat + (awesome, its been about 4 years and looks better than ever, just had a second car done), and front end / headlights / rockers/ mirror backs coated with xpel ultimate film. I also had my buttons for gear select and the carbon fiber sills coated with xpel. I had it done in stages, I believe it was easily north of a few k, but I would have to add it up. Would do it again in a second, you won't be disappointed if you find a quality installer. I used Leeberbs and Greg at Signature Detailing in NJ if you want to take a road trip.

PPF tech has come a long way since the Roadster was born. I recently DIY'ed 3M Scotchgard Pro on the front (full hood, fenders, mirrors, bumper) of my Model 3 and am fully sold on it after today. Was stuck behind a concrete truck dumping rocks all over the highway this morning. Ran through shrapnel from a tire blowout two cars ahead on the way home in the evening. No damage. The few scratches I found disappeared under a heat gun. Advertised life expectancy on the film is 7-10 years.

Removing the original film was a chore. Used a steamer with plastic razor blades to peel it off. Left lots of adhesive residue that required more scraping with Goo Gone to completely eliminate. Ironically, the paint required machine polishing after removing the film because the removal process introduced fine scratches.
IMG_7929.jpg
IMG_7940.jpg

I mean a ceramic coating

Based on recommendation, I had done a base of xpel film and top coat of opticoat pro +
Applicators suggest ceramic on top of the film.

However, do to more extensive film coating later on, the opposite sequence was done on other parts of the car.

This was 4+ years ago, both application sequences still look great, but the film is much easier to clean with the ceramic on top.

The question is what happens when you remove the film...
Ceramic on top: you need to reapply
Ceramic on bottom: if it stays and is not damaged when the film is removed , then you save a reapplication

Based on this TMC sponsored SunTek post here, I'm curious if those of you who had PPF applied to your full car went with an edge wrap and/or if you had any parts removed. Also looking for recommendations on L.A.-based installers who can do a full paint correction and application, thanks.