Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

paint protections films ok? Xpel/suntek

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’ve searched the forums without a clear recent discussion on this. It seems like people have put clear bras on their model 3s and I don’t see any comments from Tesla officially suggesting it will negatively interfere with autopilot. Is that the agreed understanding here? Clear bra on front bumper is okay? Any documented Ted position from Tesla?

PPF is definitely fine on the Model 3. But if you want to be sure, you could cut around the sensors. The pre-cut PPF all come with censors cut out so they don't cover the sensors. It's said they do it for liability reasons, as in just in case, they don't want to be liable for sensors failing and the car crashing.

For installers, you'll find some will cut out the sensors, some just lay PPF directly over. There were some threads with people reporting issues I think with stealth wraps? But generally there haven't been any issues reported with PPF laying directly over sensors.

Reactions: XPEL and Jtt777
i see where there are round cut out for sensors but i also heard the radar is generally in the front area behind the bumper. I guess if it goes through the bumper, the film shoudn't matter but just wondering. I wish there was an offical tesla statement.

Have the complete car covered in Suntek. No issues whatsoever. Find an installer that has done Teslas before. Radar is not an issue and mine cut out all of the ultrasonics to be sure.

PS: Radar does not care about a piece of plastic. What do you think radomes are made of? (Boat owner for decades here... :D)

Reactions: Jtt777
Hi, I’ve searched the forums without a clear recent discussion on this. It seems like people have put clear bras on their model 3s and I don’t see any comments from Tesla officially suggesting it will negatively interfere with autopilot. Is that the agreed understanding here? Clear bra on front bumper is okay? Any documented Ted position from Tesla?

Clear Bra is 100% okay on Tesla. In fact, Teslas are one of our most popular makes we protect globally with the Model S being in our top 10.

I see you're in North New Jersey, check out our XPEL Certified Installer Locator here to track down an installer nearest you. Be sure to call a couple of them so you can get a feel for their customer service quality. You can even go to their location to check their workmanship too.
XPEL Certified Installers in North New Jersey.

I have XPEL Stealth on my Model 3. Even with no cutouts for sensors, I have had no problems.

P_20181103_153633.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: XPEL