Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking in a tight garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone is being too complicated.:) I discovered the secret while navigating a Model X in streets in Bergamo, Italy that were only a few Centimeters wider than the car. If you look closely at the screen you'll see the sensors begin to show your clearance on each side with red 'slashes' on each side. Soon they will have constant sounds warning of close margins. Then the screen will begin to show the measured clearances, I saw them in CM but I'm sure they work in Imperial measure also. Those magic indications allowed me to navigate streets only 15 cm wider than the car without a mark. They also allowed me to park in an ancient parking garage that was about the width and length of the car, a trifle wider once I passed the critical entrance so I could exit normally.

That always works, but does require attentiveness and a certain sense of desperation...

I posted photos of some of that elsewhere. As daily matter those aids should easily suffice, especially once you become adjusted to them.
Sounds like you’re saying even after the distance sensors display a red slash, eventually, it’ll show the distance again? Didn’t know that...

Sounds like you’re saying even after the distance sensors display a red slash, eventually, it’ll show the distance again? Didn’t know that...

I just paid attention today coming in the garage. The red curve around the front disappears as I enter the garage and reappears as the front of the car approaches the stuff at the other side. Then it shows distance of the bumper to my piles of junk. But I never see any digital distance for the side being displayed.

True. I was shocked when it happened because I thought I was scraping the sides of the very narrow passage. You must be far too close fir that to happen, and a prudent driver would not be there at all. In any event one will be moving VERY slowly.

Reactions: Koolio46
I just paid attention today coming in the garage. The red curve around the front disappears as I enter the garage and reappears as the front of the car approaches the stuff at the other side. Then it shows distance of the bumper to my piles of junk. But I never see any digital distance for the side being displayed.

So after you get within <12” of something in front of the car in the garage, the red line helps you pull up to, say, 5-6” of an object? That would be like my current 2016 Audi q3, which at least offers some guidance with a red line that moves closer. I only had the test drive Tesla in my garage once, and I didn’t remember there being any guidance at all after you get within 12”. Hope I’m wrong! I’ll get to find out for sure when I get the MY on 11/25. But I’m more hopeful after your post.

I'd have to try it again. It definitely shows front distance before 12", it might stop the distance and just say stop once it hits 12. Maybe only numbers > 12". I usually just inch forward a little more. I have an old warehouse really heavy duty shelving unit right in front of the car. When I first got the MY I crept forward and noted when I got out how far away I was and well as how many holes in the upright (holes where you bolt in the shelves) were between the top of the hood and the shelf above it.