Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger door latch not opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I just got my M3 two days ago and the love affair is deepening by the hour! We also have a 2014 S 90D but I prefer the smaller size and nimbleness of my 3. The one-screen-and-no-instrument-cluster acclimation took about an hour. It is so streamlined and intuitive, the height of simplicity and all you need!
Upon delivery we discovered the right rear passenger door would not fully open when button was pressed--window lowered and door popped open just a hair, but latch was still engaged and door couldn't be pushed open. A second button press allowed you to open the door. We were detained an additional hour and a half while techs assessed the car. It is not a software issue and a part is being ordered for replacement.
Yesterday after shopping I opened the frunk from my phone. It popped up, but couldn't be pulled open because latch had not fully disengaged--hmmm. Like the passenger door. A second press on the phone worked. Not an issue when opening from the control screen in the car. Will monitor to see if problem continues...

That’s probably how it’s designed (at least as far as the frunk is concerned).

If the car locks after unlocking the frunk but before physically lifting the hood, then the car relocks the frunk. This can happen if the car thinks I’m leaving and it locks the car when I get up from the driver’s seat or step too far away from the car with my phone.

Reactions: Pkmmte
If the car locks after unlocking the frunk but before physically lifting the hood, then the car relocks the frunk.

That makes sense. As I recall I popped the frunk and immediately tried to lift it...I don't think frunk requires 2 button clicks on phone to be able to lift (or does it?). My first reaction was to run fingers under edge feeling for spring latch to push LOL. I'll be aware of car re-locking if I delay.

Reactions: rsbell
It’s my diver door that behaves this way. A single button press will slightly lower the window and partially unlatch the door, but the door can’t be pushed opened unless I press the button a second time (sometimes works). If I press and hold the button while pushing the door open it always works.

The other three doors "usually" fully unlatch with a single button press, but always unlatch if I hold the button while pushing the door open.

@CiCi - does your driver door fully unlatch with a push of the button (you don't need to hold the button and push to open?).

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
That’s not normal and not as designed. There’s been other reports of this and fixed by the service centers. Good luck and enjoy the car!

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting thing I observed... if the window is rolled down even part way, the driver's door unlatches correctly with a single push of the button. So maybe some alignment issue with the door mechanisms. In the meantime, service appointment scheduled to take a look at it and I'm immensely happy with the car!

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting thing I observed... if the window is rolled down even part way, the driver's door unlatches correctly with a single push of the button. So maybe some alignment issue with the door mechanisms. In the meantime, service appointment scheduled to take a look at it and I'm immensely happy with the car!

I have the same problem with my driver's door and plan to schedule a service appointment. Were they able to fix it? What was the solution?

Quick question for everyone. Do your doors (especially the rears) unlatch all the way with a quick press of the interior button, or do you have to hold it as you open the door? Wondering if this is by design, but have not tested on another car to verify.