Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boot latched half way - won't open or close ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. 2017 Tesla P100D.

This morning I closed the boot and walked away as normal, but when I came back I found it was not fully latched. Pressing to open gets me no movement and 3 beeps.

The car shows it as boot open. I have tried pushing down, pulling up, doing these while pressing button, using screen and app and remote to close/open.. I have tried a fully shutdown and restart.

In the end I even tried the emergency release *(good luck getting out of there if you need to - I needed to get a small crowbar to pry the plastic off, and pulling the little plstic nub just resulted in the plastic nub ripping off - with no movement of the wire release at all.

The boot is in this half latched state, meaning it can be moved up and down 5mm or so.

It even took me multiple attempts tonight to just get the while thing to lock as it kept complaining the boot was open. I was about to give up, when it decided to lock itself.. so I left it at that point (boot still not closed right)

Lying in the boot I can see it in the latch, but the latch has clearly done something to stop it opening. Nothing obvious is caught in it or obstructing anything.

any ideas ?

When I got my car in 2020, I opened everything up to check everything, and by the time I got to the hood, it was stuck like you say. The guys at Tesla said it is lucky this happened there, as everyone needs to know how the second latch works. It is timed to latch if the hood is partially opened and not pulled up after 3 - 5 minutes. Here is a video on unlatching. It kills my fat hand to do this, but it works.

• Informative
Reactions: Huachipato
Update: so - I found out about the black plug trick:

this did nothing directly, plug with it unplugged, I could use the emergency cable to open the boot.

I then found that by 'faking' that the boot was locked by pushing the latch shut with a screwdriver, resting the boot closed and then plugging black plug back in - pressing to open hatch then worked!

and closing also worked -sometimes. however after a few it did it again (half latched) - when like that it's too late to do anything about it.

So the trick for now is it opens fine, but when closing let it get nearly down by itself and then push firmly down manually yourself BEFORE it half latches - that seems to work fine.