Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance package noticeable handling improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mny122

Apr 12, 2020
Has anyone come across driving comparisons of the Y and YP that indicate whether the P with lowered suspension has a noticeable driving feel difference/reduced body roll aside from the actual acceleration issue?

This package $ cuts the NY state EV credit from $2000 to $500, so the all-in cost is becoming a bigger consideration vs a potential speed bump purchase (P-Lite) in the future.

Has anyone come across driving comparisons of the Y and YP that indicate whether the P with lowered suspension has a noticeable driving feel difference/reduced body roll aside from the actual acceleration issue?

This package $ cuts the NY state EV credit from $2000 to $500, so the all-in cost is becoming a bigger consideration vs a potential speed bump purchase (P-Lite) in the future.

Not sure about noticeable for daily driving from light to light or even occasional canyon runs, maybe.

In general, lowering the car will not only provide a more aggressive look, but should improve its handling profile by allowing for lower center of gravity leading to less body roll.

The performance package also adds bigger and better looking brakes, carbon fiber spoiler, metallic pedals, and the 21in wheels.
People who are getting the stealth package are pretty much only getting software but losing out on those goodies, but they get an extra 20 miles of range and a more comfy ride.

Has anyone come across driving comparisons of the Y and YP that indicate whether
the P with lowered suspension has a noticeable driving feel difference/reduced body roll
aside from the actual acceleration issue?

I think the biggest difference will be caused by the difference of tires. The regular 19 or 20 in tires with higher side wall will give
more a kind of balloon effect compare to the 21 in extra wide giving certainly a kind of racing effect.

If the $1,500 tax difference is really a matter, you should also consider the cost of the 21 in tires replacement.

Reactions: mswlogo
I think the biggest difference will be caused by the difference of tires. The regular 19 or 20 in tires with higher side wall will give
more a kind of balloon effect compare to the 21 in extra wide giving certainly a kind of racing effect.

If the $1,500 tax difference is really a matter, you should also consider the cost of the 21 in tires replacement.

That’s true, and not just cost of tire replacement but frequency. The 21s are summer tires, and will wear faster. But man don’t they look nice. Anytime I see a MY with anything less than 21s, it just doesn’t pop.

hopefully down the line some company makes all season 21s or some budget tires I can burn through

Ya understood thanks for the feedback - it isn’t so much that $1500 is a dealbreaker as much as one more thing already being on the fence on P and knowing from experience that the ginormous wheels/tires have the cost and other trade offs as well. Totally agree visually they are just killer.

Probably was in fact hoping someone might say turns are night-and-day vs the smaller wheels/higher suspension to push me over the edge ;)

Reactions: Watts_Up
Off topic but why do ppl chose stealth performance? Is it just for that extra 20 mile range that can be easily reversed with a different set of wheels?

1. The range loss
  2. 21 inch wheels with low profile tires will break in a second with the crap roads we have around me.
  3. Don't feel like having to sell the uberturbines.
  4. Added cost when replacing bigger brake pads (though this doesn't have to be done very much at all)
  5. I want all the ground clearance I can get since the Y is already pretty low for a CUV, so I don't want the lowered sport suspension.
Those are my reasons, but I'm kind of on the fence still anyway since the PUP's are more available. If I knew people were clamoring to get their hands on a set of uberturbines I wouldn't have a problem getting and selling the wheels. I'm just not sure what the demand for those heavy things will be.

1. The range loss
  2. 21 inch wheels with low profile tires will break in a second with the crap roads we have around me.
  3. Don't feel like having to sell the uberturbines.
  4. Added cost when replacing bigger brake pads (though this doesn't have to be done very much at all)
  5. I want all the ground clearance I can get since the Y is already pretty low for a CUV, so I don't want the lowered sport suspension.
Those are my reasons, but I'm kind of on the fence still anyway since the PUP's are more available. If I knew people were clamoring to get their hands on a set of uberturbines I wouldn't have a problem getting and selling the wheels. I'm just not sure what the demand for those heavy things will be.

thanks for your response. Those are some good reasons, but I to each their own. Ill eat the 20 mile range and ill enjoy my 21s as long as they can last lol I don't think ill be replacing anytime soon, I rarely use them. Where do you live?

FWIW, I don't think the model Y PUP is low at all. I don't slow down for bumps or go up driveways with an angle, never scrap. My wife drives it too. Im coming from a lowered BMW 335i so maybe I have a different point of you, so that's just me.

I live in south western PA. The roads are constantly broken by the salt and freezing, and PennDot takes forever to fix anything.

No, I don't think the Model Y is low like slammed low, but it is low for a CUV. Most are sitting around 8 inches of ground clearance where the Model Y non pup only has 6.6 inches. I think the Pup only lowers it like half an inch realistically, but then were talking almost a full 2 inches less than a typical CUV. I figure if I'm going to get a CUV, I might as well be able to drive it down a dirt trail without worrying about scraping the bottom up, or getting stuck on a snowy back road.