Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance Package range, skidpad, braking numbers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have an idea of how much the performance package stickier tires affect range?

I haven't found any mentions of 60-0 braking tests with the 6-piston calipers and stickier tires on the performance package, has anyone seen any tests? Are the rotors larger? If Tesla and CR are finding ~133 ft 60-0 braking distance, and the M3 can do it in 99 ft, it seems the performance package is going to have to make up quite a bit of ground to perform "15% better" than an M3.

And how about skidpad? The M3 can pull a hair over 1g, and the only numbers I've seen for the Model 3 are the non-performance, at around .85g... 15% lower than the M3.

Rob

The 15% only refers to 0-60. I challenge you to find a production vehicle that beats the M3 by 15% in braking, skid pad, or lap times. Maybe if Tesla makes a SpaceX edition with active downforce...

OK I reread the Elon Musk tweet in question and here's what he said:

"Cost is $78k. About same as BMW M3, but 15% quicker & with better handling. Will beat anything in its class on the track."

You're right, he said 15% quicker than the M3, not 15% better handling, but he did say "better handling". So if the M3 is pulling 1.01g and braking 60-0 in 99 ft, how good is this performance package, and what does it cost in terms of range ??

OK I reread the Elon Musk tweet in question and here's what he said:

"Cost is $78k. About same as BMW M3, but 15% quicker & with better handling. Will beat anything in its class on the track."

You're right, he said 15% quicker than the M3, not 15% better handling, but he did say "better handling". So if the M3 is pulling 1.01g and braking 60-0 in 99 ft, how good is this performance package, and what does it cost in terms of range ??
There was an article for a review of the P3D+ (with Performance upgrade), I don’t have the link, but it might have been Car & Driver. They said the braking distance (with the upgraded 4-pot brakes) was on par with the BMW M3.

Edit: Sorry, it was road and Track, here’s the article. Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

There was an article for a review of the P3D+ (with Performance upgrade), I don’t have the link, but it might have been Car & Driver. They said the braking distance (with the upgraded 4-pot brakes) was on par with the BMW M3.

Edit: Sorry, it was road and Track, here’s the article. Tesla Model 3 Performance: Track Test

Good read - thanks for the link. So they tested track mode, makes sense it would take hardware and software to get that much of an improvement. Getting from 133 ft down to 100 ft on braking is a 25% improvement, wonder if there is a more aggressive regen component to that. They did mention regen while lifting the accelerator pedal increases by 50% from .2g to .3g in track mode. I thought I read that the performance calipers were 6 piston and base were 4, but this article says 4 for performance, with 14” rotors. Anyone know how big the base model rotors are?

Good read - thanks for the link. So they tested track mode, makes sense it would take hardware and software to get that much of an improvement. Getting from 133 ft down to 100 ft on braking is a 25% improvement, wonder if there is a more aggressive regen component to that. They did mention regen while lifting the accelerator pedal increases by 50% from .2g to .3g in track mode. I thought I read that the performance calipers were 6 piston and base were 4, but this article says 4 for performance, with 14” rotors. Anyone know how big the base model rotors are?
Has anyone tested their braking distance on a P3D? 100ft would indeed be very impressive for such a heavy vehicle on 235 width tires.
Regen is not going to help braking distance. The Model 3 has no problem generating enough braking force to lock up the wheels. How could more braking force help?

Bigger brakes (or more regen) don't change braking distance as normally tested. The brakes don't stop the car- the tires do.

If the P3D+ stops shorter than other model 3s it's entirely from the sticker tires.

What'd be interesting is to see a braking distance test on a non-P that slapped PS 4S tires on the stock 18s.

Better brakes usually provide better feel for accurate braking as well as additial heat capacity for repeated stops.

In a racing situation the driver rarely locks up the tires, but wants to maximize deceleration while still under control.

Trail braking, especially requires a fine touch, where entering the corner, under hard braking, also allows some steering response into the corner.

I have the car but no way to test. Also, Powertools does not seem to be able to pull data from a Model 3.
I've been having the same issue as well. Powertools works perfectly for my Model S but stopped working for the Model 3s a few months ago. The developer is unresponsive as well. I hope someone makes a "scan my Tesla/TeslaSpy" app for the Model 3 soon.

Has anyone tested their braking distance on a P3D? 100ft would indeed be very impressive for such a heavy vehicle on 235 width tires.
Regen is not going to help braking distance. The Model 3 has no problem generating enough braking force to lock up the wheels. How could more braking force help?
I haven't seen anyone post 60-0 times, and there are none on Dragy. I'll fix that after the 15th if someone else (forkee?) doesn't do it first. There is a Model X with 109 ft. though, so it might be possible?

Square.

I forgot that I voted on that poll. I decided to go much cheaper, Enkei Raijin 18x9.5 +35 Gunmetal (if anyone has them in stock!).

That's funny. I was just looking at these in the 19" size. Would love the Titans, but don't want to wait...

Also, the problem with the 60-0 is there's no good way to test it on surface streets, unless you find a deserted open road. Not too many of those where I live...

That's funny. I was just looking at these in the 19" size. Would love the Titans, but don't want to wait...

Also, the problem with the 60-0 is there's no good way to test it on surface streets, unless you find a deserted open road. Not too many of those where I live...
I live in the middle of nowhere. There are like 10 different places I could 60-0 within 5 minutes of my house, haha.