Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phantom passenger window open/close UI bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a new Y, just noticed today passenger window UI animation shows window as open when it's actually fully closed.
2nd row window, behind driver seat. This happens when the car is parked.
Actually triggering an open-close cycle for that window shows window changes state (on the UI, animation), but then at the end still shows incorrectly the window as open.
Sometimes that window starts phantom UI up-down movements.
That's the only window where I noticed this happens.
Where is the window sensor located?
Do I need to reboot the UI/ screen?
This happens inconsistently, sometimes after a road ride this bug goes away.
Should I open a service request? I guess it's hard to fix if it's that inconsistent (may not happen when I actually show up for a service appointment ).
Thanks

I have noticed that this left window makes noise at when it reaches lower levels of sliding it down.
As if there is some tension or it's running against something.

The right window doesn't make this noise, and also doesn't have this bug.

So the Tesla service person confirmed it's a hardware issue and he's going to replace with a new part. From what I understand it's a window driver(?) or some sort of the mechanism that moves the window glass up and down. That part will be here in 1-2 weeks. He did mentioned he hasn't seen this issue before.

So the correct names for the parts to be replaced: window regulator and window motor.
Part has arrived, but they schedule service 5 weeks out.
They replaced both of those on my passenger front window, along with the window itself, which finally fixed the problem.
Bummer that you have to wait five weeks to get it fixed. At least now they have the parts.

So Tesla has replace window regulator and window motor which fixed the issue on that window.

Funny part, I found that the right side 2nd row seat window has exactly same issue, although the right window
doesn't make that sounds like the left one which had this issue fixed. I guess I will need another appointment.

For what it's worth, I have the same problem on the right passenger side (2nd row).
With the exception that that window doesn't make that weird sound, and it's only a UI bug.
Made another mobile appointment.
Took me a while to notice it, since the right side window animations are harder to see, and you only
can see if the window has open/close animation during the day, not possible to see at night when background changes to black.

For what it's worth, I have the same problem on the right passenger side (2nd row).
With the exception that that window doesn't make that weird sound, and it's only a UI bug.
Made another mobile appointment.
Took me a while to notice it, since the right side window animations are harder to see, and you only
can see if the window has open/close animation during the day, not possible to see at night when background changes to black.
I have the same problem on the left passenger. Please let us know what service say.

@tvbi see my response above from Feb 27th - they had to replace some hardware in the window

Last edited:
@tvbi see my response above from Feb 27th - they had to replace some hardware in the window
Ok thanks. Let see if it still happens after a couple of software updates before I bring it in.

Just to close the loop the second window had been serviced too for the same issue. This time a technician was able to replace the motor on site, during mobile visit, without making a separate appointment like the first time.

He said he didn’t run into similar problem previously.

C95471A9-370A-4FFC-81B6-1F85FD3870B1.jpeg

DC535335-4DDE-4020-864F-57659BD72ABE.jpeg

A0074F2D-005D-4D0F-B816-141D3AEE7AB1.jpeg

Photos above - motor replacement in progress,
Black motor - the one being replaced (Bosch),
White motor - the new motor (Noname).

Replacing the motor fixed the problem in both cases.