Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom Slow-Down and Phantom Will-Not-Speed-Up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the course of the last two weeks, as I have begun learning E autopilot's feature, I am experiencing "Phantom Slow down". No, My T3 does not stop, it either just slows down does not accelerate at all.
1) Freeway on-ramps is where I get a Phantom-does-not-accelerate. It was preceded by a slow down from 30 to 20. Furthermore, the car decides to make up its own speed limit and displays a "20" as the speed limit. It refuses to accelerate and I have to put my foot down to bring it up to the 55 mph limit and it's happy again. Luckily it was not busy as I am sure that I would have gotten rear ended by people going 70mph.
2) Phantom slow-down on a very slow posted 20 mph road with cars parked to the side. The one way road is very wide and has legal roadside parking. But it suddenly decide to slow down to 10 mph. I didn't let it go any slower as people speed 30-45mph on this stretch of road as it is. On that same stretch of road it refused to accelerate to the posted 30 mph but stayed at 20mph.

So far, no phantom braking, assuming it exist, and people are not exaggerating. But, hey, I will keep you all posted if it happens! Haha!
Still, EAP give me more benefits than doubts.

Incorrect Map Data is a primary cause of slow downs (not Phantom Braking), particularly when the wrong speed limit is displayed. This should be fixed when the vision only software is merged with the legacy AP code. It is more reliant on Posted Speed limit signs to determine the correct speed limit. Hopefully the inconsistencies are being reported by Tesla to correct the improper Map Data

Reactions: Whoze
Incorrect Map Data is a primary cause of slow downs (not Phantom Braking), particularly when the wrong speed limit is displayed. This should be fixed when the vision only software is merged with the legacy AP code. It is more reliant on Posted Speed limit signs to determine the correct speed limit. Hopefully the inconsistencies are being reported by Tesla to correct the improper Map Data
I am not entirely sure that real phantom braking actually exists as often as it is being reported. All my incidents were slow downs from slow speeds (30-20, 20-10). I called up Tesla, and told them I could give specific geographic locations, but they didn't seem interested. I would rather have just made an online report. It's not practical to stop on the side of a freeway to file a report online.

I am not entirely sure that real phantom braking actually exists as often as it is being reported. All my incidents were slow downs from slow speeds (30-20, 20-10). I called up Tesla, and told them I could give specific geographic locations, but they didn't seem interested. I would rather have just made an online report. It's not practical to stop on the side of a freeway to file a report online.
These discrepancies should be "reported" and updated automatically, but they are not. The Tesla can not only provide confirmation of its own settings, but also a visual confirmation of the discrepancy from the cameras. The Map Data where I live is probably 10 years old. The speed limit on the main road I live on is 35, but all navigation programs show 25 until it sees a speed limit sign 35. I have the vision only code, so my speed is upped to 35 at that time. Also, turning onto a road with the speed limit of 55, the map data and my car is set to 25 until it passes the speed limit sign. Makes FSD not so good.

• Informative
Reactions: Whoze
Your comments make even more intriguing that Tesla did not seem interested in the geolocations that I could provide. But I guess they can pull my camera footage and see for themselves. I believe I gave them that privilege.
I find it odd that AI cannot figure out that freeway-on ramps are acceleration lanes for entry. I guess it will be a few more decades before AI takes over the world! :))
Thanks for sharing your experience, It will help smooth out my T3 experience.

Same for me, last 2 weeks it's happening multiple times per drive on the same commute I've been doing for nearly 5 years. Just all of a sudden stops accelerating and would bring itself slowly to a stop if I don't step on it.

Same for me, last 2 weeks it's happening multiple times per drive on the same commute I've been doing for nearly 5 years. Just all of a sudden stops accelerating and would bring itself slowly to a stop if I don't step on it.
I had a very odd drive this afternoon--doing a straight away at about 40 on "Cruise Control" and the car starts slowing very strongly to about 15 mph---nothing apparently causing it .... I had to take over and get back to speed. And it happened one more time on the same suburban streets.