Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help AC intermittent cool then warm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Please take it easy on me this is my first post. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and don't mind trying stuff if you know what YOUR doing lol. My 2021 Y has 73,000 miles on it. In the last few months I noticed when I turn on the AC it will cool the cabin to about 69-70 at the lowest. Then if I leave the car and come back 15 minutes later and turn the AC back on it won't drop the temp past 87 degrees. There is not really warm/hot air coming out of vents just not very cold sometimes. Very intermittent. I already changed the 2 air filters and clean the coils which didn't really help with other than the smell.
I ran diagnostics in service mode last night and the first 2 tests failed. I think ran a coolant tests and that ran for a few minutes and then went back to the HVAC test and then it started passing. The cabin was cold again and I though awesome I fixed it. So I ran the diagnostic again and it passed again. 1 hour later from my phone I ran the AC around 10:30pm and again it cooled the cabin to 70 degrees after a few minutes. Today I ran the AC around 1pm and yes it was HOT 95 dgrees outside and 112 in the car. It started to cool all the way down to 87 degrees and then it started to climb to 92 and then 96 before I shut it off. I take it the car would probably perform better by driving it to have air go over the radiator right? Or should it still be able to cool to 70 in 95 degree weather just parked? SEE ATTACHED PICTURES OF SCREEN PASS/FAIL
Can someone please tell me what I should check? I contacted Tesla today to have a remote diagnostic done and all the told me was it the data reviewed shows a fault in the havac system. Then the said on their end they are seeing that my compressor is faulting. My Y uses R-134a I confirmed with Tesla.
I also save a video that talks about getting to the radiators and cleaning the dirt and all the debris but that seems like it's more for when the AC is just working efficient enough all the time.

So my main question is. Does the Compressor faulting necessarily mean the compressor is bad ? Or can low R-134a cause that too? If I buy a bottle of R-134a from autozone that has a gauge on it, can I use that gauge to determine if there is enough R-134a in the system or should I use a AC manifold gauge and hook it up to the high/low side to check ? Where would you start after everything I mentioned above?
BTW Tesla quoted me $3200 to do the repair!! $235 is to diagnose it in person. I believe it is a compressor I can replace it after the videos I watched, but I wanted to be sure and not sure where to start or what other diags to run and what to look for?
Almost forgot I also ran the AC reset instruction 4 or 5 times and that didn't help.

THANK YOU ANYONE AHEAD OF TIME TO ANYONE WHO CAN ASSIST ME & HOPEFULLY SAVE ME SOME $$