Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, just ran into a problem I was hoping you all could help with!

My wife was supercharging our 2014 model S and after a couple minutes the ac started blowing super hot air. 5 minutes after that the car displayed an error message saying it couldn’t supercharge.

Moved to a different charger, started charging fine, ac was working again and after a few minutes the air turned warm again. Few more minutes and charging finished.

On drive back ~10 minutes ac was blowing lukewarm air?

Is this a known issue? Any connection between supercharging and ac issues? Sounds like something was overheating?

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Your AC cools the battery when it is hot through a Chiller. The pssenger AC and battery/motor cooling are intertwined. If it isn't stuck louvers on front, better have it checked out. I'm suprised no error codes are showing.

Thanks everyone, I’m planning to go to a supercharger in the next couple of days and watching the louvers while someone else plugs the car in. I heard the louvers should open and close briefly when the car gets plugged in?

@mulp I also have a 2014 Model S. There is a minor version of that behavior which can be normal. If I'm sitting in the car and trying to run the cabin A/C while it's Supercharging, sometimes the air will switch over to being kind of lukewarm after a few minutes. The Supercharging is generating a lot of heat in the battery, and the programming in the car is that it is going to prioritize cooling off the battery to keep the Supercharging speed up. The cabin air kind of switches back and forth every few minutes between being cool when the car can spare it or back to lukewarm when it needs all of it for the battery.

But as others have mentioned, if it shows any error messages or it just stays hot, that usually does indicate some kind of problem that would need a repair.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Brought car to Tesla to take a look at louvers. Ran a diagnostic and said the ambient temp sensor and one of the coolant pumps were broken so I gave the go ahead to have those replaced first. They’ll continue diagnosing once those are fixed.

Should I have them replace both pumps while the bumper is off?

Tesla provide an update, they said I need:

- 980 Units of R134A refrigerant
- Sub Cool Condenser Fan (6008357-00F)
- AC Line 1 to Condenser 2
- Gas cool condenser Fan Module (6007352-000f)

Total is ~$2700. Does this sound right to you? Why didn't this show up when they ran the diagnosis initially? My ac seems to work fine, this is after Tesla replaced the coolant pump. Is it possible something was damaged when they were doing that?

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Are the two fans behind the outer ventilation inlets running? On the SuC, a lot of hot air would have to be expelled in the wheel arch in front of the front wheels. It may be that the relays that turn on the two fans have melted. was like that for me.