Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible model 3 trailer hitch coming ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrek has an article on this. Whadayathink. How soon, and more important will we be able to take our existing model 3’s to the service centre (or ranger comes to our door) and install the hitch and hopefully light wiring harness???

Opinions welcome. Obviously I would be a customer.

Stay safe and healthy all.

Tesla hints at finally releasing Model 3 tow hitch in North America - Electrek

Reactions: john94si
Electrek has an article on this. Whadayathink. How soon, and more important will we be able to take our existing model 3’s to the service centre (or ranger comes to our door) and install the hitch and hopefully light wiring harness???

Opinions welcome. Obviously I would be a customer.

Stay safe and healthy all.

Tesla hints at finally releasing Model 3 tow hitch in North America - Electrek

I want this on my to be delivered in March Model 3. It’s the one upgrade I’d even wait for. I think. I really want this car soon. I don’t really care much about a wiring harness I just want to be able to easily transport my bike.

Just took a few hours. Available now. Echohitch.
New_River_Trail (2).JPG

The photo from Twitter that the article is based on is for a "euro style" hitch:

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1351993516570894337/photo/1

I mean this is literally the hitch they sell in Europe. Not much point in having that in the US as you wouldn't be able to use it for anything.

Besides I've had a hitch since before I picked up my 2019. It's not like we are lacking a solution today.

Edit: from the article:

Furthermore, some have noted that the new 2021 Model 3 has a removable panel where the tow hitch would go.

Um my 2019 came with this panel.

The photo from Twitter that the article is based on is for a "euro style" hitch:

https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1351993516570894337/photo/1

I mean this is literally the hitch they sell in Europe. Not much point in having that in the US as you wouldn't be able to use it for anything.

Besides I've had a hitch since before I picked up my 2019. It's not like we are lacking a solution today.

Edit: from the article:

Um my 2019 came with this panel.

Yep. So does our 2020. Just wish there was a simple wire harness solution. There was a module available on EBay for awhile but it has disappeared. . .

Thank you for the picture. Looks great. We are considering doing something similar. Couple of questions.

What is the weight of your trailer?
Are you running trailer breaks?

thanks.
The trailer is 1650 lbs dry and I am guessing about 2000 lbs loaded. Yes it has electric brakes and I use a wireless brake controller. The downside is range is effectively cut in half, greatly limiting it's usefulness. Compounded by the frequent need to unhitch to SuperCharge.

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
The trailer is 1650 lbs dry and I am guessing about 2000 lbs loaded. Yes it has electric brakes and I use a wireless brake controller. The downside is range is effectively cut in half, greatly limiting it's usefulness. Compounded by the frequent need to unhitch to SuperCharge.

Great info. We are surrounded on all sides by hundreds of great camping spots so I doubt we would travel anymore than a couple hours in any direction.

Would you mind sharing which wireless brake controller you went with?

thanks.