Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coat 19" Sport Wheels?

Powder Coat 19" Sport Wheels?

• Stock (w/ red calipers)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like others, I need to stop looking through the forums because there are so many things I'd like to do. I'm not looking at doing a chrome delete but I do have the following mods planned and could use help on the wheels.
  • PPF on full front, mirrors, and possibly rocker panels
  • Window Tint (thinking 35% on sides)
  • Red Calipers
I'm torn on leaving stock 19" sport wheels or having them powder coated? Thoughts?

My car...
56805095883__A6A32BDC-0DB3-4BC7-8BD0-35DE3674966E.JPG

Something similar to this....
IMG_5122.jpg

Or, a lighter metallic grey...
Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 8.00.07 PM.png

I had my 20” done in white to match the white paint. I did have the chrome delete done. I had the wheels powder coated about two weeks ago. I was torn between black or white. Now that they are white, I don’t think I like them. With the car being white also, it gives the car an 80s retro look. Here’s the thing. I don’t like black either. I’ve decided on a dark grey similar to this although the wheel is the same exact shape as yours:
E669-F84-B-0795-4-A47-A98-E-D87-B7-B1-CBFB6.jpg

I don’t know if I can go from a powder coated wheel to something like this grey above. I don’t know what the process is to make them look like this.

I had my 20” done in white to match the white paint. I did have the chrome delete done. I had the wheels powder coated about two weeks ago. I was torn between black or white. Now that they are white, I don’t think I like them. With the car being white also, it gives the car an 80s retro look. Here’s the thing. I don’t like black either. I’ve decided on a dark grey similar to this although the wheel is the same exact shape as yours:

I don’t know if I can go from a powder coated wheel to something like this grey above. I don’t know what the process is to make them look like this.

Seeing the dark grey in the picture above makes me feel confident that it will look good. I think what you shared (dark grey on white) looks really sharp!

Well...I called around today and where I live (2 hours south of Chicago), there are not many places that do powder coating. I assumed this was something most body shops did but I guess not. One place I spoke with will do it for $120/wheel which I thought was a good price but they said it takes 2 weeks and I would need to have the tires taken off myself.

Has anyone ever heard of this and it taking 2 weeks?

For someone with experience with wheel finishes, can you tell me how old the finish in the above photo is achieved? Is it paint or something different?

would like to see some pictures of those white wheels!!

Well...I called around today and where I live (2 hours south of Chicago), there are not many places that do powder coating. I assumed this was something most body shops did but I guess not. One place I spoke with will do it for $120/wheel which I thought was a good price but they said it takes 2 weeks and I would need to have the tires taken off myself.

Has anyone ever heard of this and it taking 2 weeks?

I've never heard more than 1-2 days. 2 weeks is crazy. Primo powdercoat in orange county gives you car back same day - I used them for my BMW. FYI they quoted $450 for all four 20" Tesla wheels.