Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powder Coated Gemini Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to share experience.

The harsh ride on my MYP was talking a toll on me. I was thinking about switching to 19” wheels from my 21” Uberturbine wheels. I was looking into T Sportline wheels but I didn’t want to spend that much.

Then I started looking into the For Sale threads and found a set of Gemini with less than 50 miles on the tires and the wheels are in perfect condition for a reasonable price.

Needless to say, I bought them but I didn’t like the Gemini hub caps and then I didn’t like the silver color with the caps off. Then I started to look into black hub caps or plastic dip the wheels.

During my research plastic dip would come off over times and caps weren’t as appealing. So I decided to powder coat them. I have contacted some local places and the lowest price was $100 a wheels to powder coat however I needed to remove the tires myself and wait a week until it’s completed then have someone mount and balance the tires again.

Then I found a wheel exchange service in Santa Ana. I was reading some of the threads here people used a guy named Ray and he can exchange your perfect Gemini wheels for his perfect powder coated Gemini wheels for $500. This price included tire removal as well as mounting and balancing. He has 2 types of black color, glossy and satin black.

I chose satin black and I love it. I did talk to Ray about what if people come in with less than perfect Gemini wheels. Ray said the cost will be different but still reasonable as he will repair their wheels first then powder coat them and not do the exchange service. He said it’s not fair for the next guy to get repaired damaged wheels. What a great stand up guy.

If anyone is thinking about something like this contact Ray in Santa Ana, CA at 714-804-8731.

Attachments

• IMG_0760.png
    IMG_0760.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    660.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_0721.jpeg
    IMG_0721.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 273

The harsh ride on my MYP was talking a toll on me. I was thinking about switching to 19” wheels from my 21” Uberturbine wheels. I was looking into T Sportline wheels but I didn’t want to spend that much.

Then I started looking into the For Sale threads and found a set of Gemini with less than 50 miles on the tires and the wheels are in perfect condition for a reasonable price.

Needless to say, I bought them but I didn’t like the Gemini hub caps and then I didn’t like the silver color with the caps off. Then I started to look into black hub caps or plastic dip the wheels.

During my research plastic dip would come off over times and caps weren’t as appealing. So I decided to powder coat them. I have contacted some local places and the lowest price was $100 a wheels to powder coat however I needed to remove the tires myself and wait a week until it’s completed then have someone mount and balance the tires again.

Then I found a wheel exchange service in Santa Ana. I was reading some of the threads here people used a guy named Ray and he can exchange your perfect Gemini wheels for his perfect powder coated Gemini wheels for $500. This price included tire removal as well as mounting and balancing. He has 2 types of black color, glossy and satin black.

I chose satin black and I love it. I did talk to Ray about what if people come in with less than perfect Gemini wheels. Ray said the cost will be different but still reasonable as he will repair their wheels first then powder coat them and not do the exchange service. He said it’s not fair for the next guy to get repaired damaged wheels. What a great stand up guy.

If anyone is thinking about something like this contact Ray in Santa Ana, CA at 714-804-8731.
I can attest to this. Ray's a good guy.
He's also got other wheel and tire set, like Inductions and Uberturbines, and some for S,X,3.
This last powder-coated set with brand new tires I got for the best quality/price I've seen anywhere.

$1700
Screenshot_20230623_153744_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20230608_171911.jpg
    20230608_171911.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 20230608_171944.jpg
    20230608_171944.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 20230608_172312.jpg
    20230608_172312.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 251
Thank you. Found a place in town with good reputation who will do this for $200/wheel and paint brake calipers for $495. Like looks of this and pricing seams reasonable. While researching wheels, it seemed like I had to spend over 300 a wheel for quality. Another person on here mentioned the hub covers, which I will look into, but like this as my “most expensive option”.

Thank you. Found a place in town with good reputation who will do this for $200/wheel and paint brake calipers for $495. Like looks of this and pricing seams reasonable. While researching wheels, it seemed like I had to spend over 300 a wheel for quality. Another person on here mentioned the hub covers, which I will look into, but like this as my “most expensive option”.
That’s not a bad deal.

I bought these center caps on Amazon and they fit perfect

Zhongyu Black & Silver Car Wheel Center Cap Kit Compatible for Tesla 3, S & X – 4 Hub Center Caps + 20 Lug Nut Covers https://a.co/d/8t7PnlY

There’s no issues but there’s hit on your range efficiency
I've seen it tested around 1%. Yes its something but probably less than using old tires (worn tires are more efficient than new)

There's a big performance improvement going to smaller wheel - 19 is more efficient than 20 which is more efficient than 21. Just look at Tesla's EPA range.

Considering using my old 18" M3P aftermarket wheels on my Y eventually as that should be more efficient than Gemini.

I can attest to this. Ray's a good guy.
He's also got other wheel and tire set, like Inductions and Uberturbines, and some for S,X,3.
This last powder-coated set with brand new tires I got for the best quality/price I've seen anywhere.

$1700
View attachment 952362
@EasterEgg @RoBoRaT have you put the wheel covers back on after the powdercoating? I wonder if they still scratch the wheels or if the powdercoating helps protect the finish.