Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power Trunk Retrofit on Model 3s now Available Direct from Tesla [09.14.2023 - 2018 model 3 not eligible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have first-hand knowledge on why it is not capable with 2018
It's because of the way the retrofit is getting power they did not start making a wire harness that the retrofit kit plugs into until after 2019
The electrical plug connection started occurring in mid 2019 and was originally used as a spare accessory plug for a tow hitch connection.

I managed to buy the official service center trunk retrofit kit since Tesla refused for me to purchase it OTC.
It was originally presumed that it wasn't compatible because of the can bus connection in the rear center console. That maybe a requirement as well but when I got to installing my kit I already had the 2.0 center console so that was not an issue. The hard stopping point for this being not retrofitable to 2018 is because of that power accessory plug in the rear bumper..
I manage to source that harness off of a part out, used that connection and tapped it into the penthouse 12 volt lead.
I am probably the only 2018 M3 anywhere that has the official Tesla power trunk retrofit.
This is the mystery plugin question that the retrofit plugs into that is absent on 2018
So it's a power issue, not just a connector/software issue. That makes it so it's very unlikely Tesla will come up with a kit for the 2018, given they are unlikely to want to tap into the 12V penthouse lead.

Reactions: davidalindsey
So it's a power issue, not just a connector/software issue. That makes it so it's very unlikely Tesla will come up with a kit for the 2018, given they are unlikely to want to tap into the 12V penthouse lead.
Correct, I highly doubt Tesla would try to tap into anything else as I don't think there is anything back there that would give enough voltage to have the power struts to work.
It's definitely not a software issue, or Canbus issue.
Mine works with no issues with the gateway configured for the power trunk control module.
As you see in my attachment, PLG module active.

Attachments

• 20240411_103100.jpg
    20240411_103100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4