Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power usage of the new gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a bit cloudy the last day we got back from vacation, solar output was 50% of normal and the dally rise of usage was 1 kWh instead of 2 kWh. Seems to correlate with idea is it Solar related. I don’t see how it can be the powerwalls since they are always charged to 100%, it has to be the gateway cooling itself . I agree 100 watts isn’t much(actually over 200 since it is only during the middle of the day). But 100 watts 24 hours day adds up to .74 mWh a year(enough to drive my Tesla over 2500 miles). That’s why we replaced all our incandescent and halogen light bulbs. A little thing running all day really adds up.

• Informative
Reactions: yblaser
I have had exactly this issue since Day 1 on solar data coming from my Tesla gateway. It is clearly a miscalibrated CT on the solar power production in the Tesla gateway. Grid is dead on with smart meter, but solar is 100% consistently a very linear 5.4% *higher* than the power reported by the (upstream) SolarEdge inverter (x-y plot example below). Subsequently confirmed by securing limited dataset from Span Helpdesk (not available in app yet) wherein after correcting for this error, The biggest problem, as noted by others, is that because the "home" power is a calculated value of the residual of solar, battery and grid, this means reported home power is too high by variably larger %'s on sunnier days. Kind of makes the home data coming out of the Tesla gateway useless. Tesla solar power reduced by simple 5.4%, then recalculating home load matches total Span main power for 2nd independent confirmation.

For my first year of operation, I've handled this calibration correction inside an R program I wrote. But today I begin setting up Home Assistant, and although there may be a way to do some supplemental math inside HA (haven't looked into yet), it sure would be nice to get the proper data coming straight out of the Tesla gateway right up front.

Anyone know if there's a way to get the Tesla gateway to apply a calibration factor to a CT? Is there something that is possible if my installer does it? Something Tesla can do if I find the right person? Maybe there is a workaround in HA that is good enough?

1702479320981.png

• Informative
Reactions: yblaser