Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 2 Transfer Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot find anything on the Powerwall 2 specifications page concerning transfer time. Is there any info out there? Looking for the number of milliseconds or cycles from when the power goes out until the Powerwall 2 provides backup power.

Thanks in advance.

I cannot find anything on the Powerwall 2 specifications page concerning transfer time. Is there any info out there? Looking for the number of milliseconds or cycles from when the power goes out until the Powerwall 2 provides backup power.

Thanks in advance.
Search the topics in this forum as various people have tested it. Especially the UPS topics.

It's somewhere around a couple hundred milliseconds, iirc.

They used to have a spec on their datasheet. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it any more. I think they said that it was 200-500 ms or something like that. In any case it's definitely not single-cycle switchover, so you can't count on all equipment weathering the switchover without disruption.

Thanks in advance.

Tesla Powerwall 2 specs for transferring house loads from on-grid to off-grid:
  1. Backup Gateway detects grid outage.
  2. Backup Gateway sends signal to Powerwall to prepare for off-grid operation.
  3. Backup Gateway opens contactor within approximately 30 ms of outage detection, physically isolating the backed-up loads from the utility grid.
  4. Powerwall begins off-grid operation (changing from grid following to grid forming) within approximately 25 ms of isolation from grid.

There are products out there that offer 17 ms transfer times. I wonder why the powerwall takes as long as it does?

The Outback Skybox and Radian are supposedly some offerings I would consider a true whole home UPS, as long as I am being given correct information from the folks at Outback.

The disadvantage of them? Cost. It's much more expensive than the powerwall per kwh of storage.

Has anyone looked at Outback products?

There are products out there that offer 17 ms transfer times. I wonder why the powerwall takes as long as it does?

The Outback Skybox and Radian are supposedly some offerings I would consider a true whole home UPS, as long as I am being given correct information from the folks at Outback.

The disadvantage of them? Cost. It's much more expensive than the powerwall per kwh of storage.

Has anyone looked at Outback products?
I've been looking at the Outback systems as an alternative to the Powerwall since the Powerwall seems to be MIA in my area and there are some oddities with the Powerwall and solar charging.
Here is an Outback system which is roughly equivalent to a two Powerwall system:
Outback Power SystemEdge 830RE Complete Inverter and Battery Storage System
This system uses AGM batteries which won't have the lifetime and capacity of two Powerwalls.

To configure a system with lithium batteries equivalent to two Powerwalls would be roughly:
Outback Flex 8kW $8,000
BattleBorn 30 kWh Li new batteries $30,000
Using salvage Tesla 5 kWh battery packs (6 x $1200) = $7,200

The Outback seems to have more capable and flexible software and can accept solar, generator and grid input and output as well as more flexible use of the batteries.