Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall operation during brownout (low line voltage from grid).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FWR7

Feb 14, 2022
I am wondering if anyone knows about how a Powerwall is configured to deal with a brownout on the grid. I have not seen any documentation on how a Powerwall determines whether the grid voltage is adequate, and when it might go off grid to self powered to protect appliances in the home. Is there a specific low voltage that is the level at which the Powerwall would determine that it should go off grid? I would think that the would be such a level. If so, it's another benefit to having a Powerwall.

I am wondering if anyone knows about how a Powerwall is configured to deal with a brownout on the grid. I have not seen any documentation on how a Powerwall determines whether the grid voltage is adequate, and when it might go off grid to self powered to protect appliances in the home. Is there a specific low voltage that is the level at which the Powerwall would determine that it should go off grid? I would think that the would be such a level. If so, it's another benefit to having a Powerwall.
UL 1741 SA describes this behavior and gives specific parameters that are considered a clean grid. If those parameters slip then the powerwall detects a dirty grid and will make a microgrid depending on the duration and severity of the deviation from normal. Those specific parameters are not super easy to come up with but also not super useful to the average user.

Different grid profiles for different states gives places like Hawaii a bit wider range of what is considered a clean grid, to account for those larger voltage ranges required to operate in the HELCO grid. Powerwalls in this area can have a slightly different grid profile than the mainland.

Upvote 0
UL 1741 SA describes this behavior and gives specific parameters that are considered a clean grid. If those parameters slip then the powerwall detects a dirty grid and will make a microgrid depending on the duration and severity of the deviation from normal. Those specific parameters are not super easy to come up with but also not super useful to the average user.

Different grid profiles for different states gives places like Hawaii a bit wider range of what is considered a clean grid, to account for those larger voltage ranges required to operate in the HELCO grid. Powerwalls in this area can have a slightly different grid profile than the mainland.

To add to this - it's almost always the AHJ that dictates what your Powerwall's grid profile is which is then enforced through the interconnection agreement.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0