Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls now available for direct order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Circling back to the August posts from @charlesj and @scotsmanswan talking about site visits.

I wonder if either of you (or anyone else) that was in the system in that timeframe has actually seen their project progress. I had my site visits (Chicago suburbs) in August as well and almost immediately had the permits pulled and approved (August 30).

Then...the familiar Tesla tumbleweeds and silence. I poke them every now and then, but the answer is never specific to me, just "Ready to schedule you in the next couple of weeks" and then they ghost me again. I'm used to it...they did the same with the original installation.

I'm just wondering if anyone has a full timeline on an additional powerwall installation that Tesla might have completed recently. If you had a second or third wall added to an existing system and they came in October/November....when did you place the original order? What did your timeline look like?
Same here. Back in august I wanted 3 more powerwalls and the paperwork went fast. They needed to schedule a second site visit to do an impedance test to make sure I can push back that much power back into the grid. They gave me the runaround for a month on the second visit by rescheduling 3 times last minute. Later found out they didn’t have access to the meter to provide test and thus they kept rescheduling. This happened in October and then it went to utility approval since I’m in a VPP. This is where Tesla sucks because they took a while to send the paperwork and then when they did they utility sent it right back immediately because it was missing info or forms. They took 3 weeks to resubmit and the utility kicked it back again immediately because it was again not filed properly. Like you, I’m also not surprised b cause the original install also went exactly like this.

Well, now at least I don't feel so bad, although I do have sympathy for your @qnzkrew.

I managed to get ahold of someone at Tesla and (apparently) used the right language so they gave me a legitimate, informative update. My delay is currently with Com Ed in Illinois, Tesla did file paperwork 3 weeks ago and again last week. (No info on why it was rejected). But, I was able to convince them to give me the ticket number for the ComEd submission. Back when I was having the original install, I was on a first name basis with people in the ComEd interconnectivity department I had to call them so much.

Guess I'll be on the phone again later today or tomorrow. I don't MIND doing the grunt work. Yes, I do believe that it's Tesla's responsibility to follow-up on ticket submissions, but OK...if you don't want to do it, AT LEAST tell me when things are delayed. I can then choose to do the crap of spending an hour on the phone to goose the process.

All the best, and thanks to everyone for the comments.

Update on my progress on my order for additional powerwal to be addd to existing system:
  • 8/11: ordered
  • 8/15: site inspection set for 9/12 (I also let them know in shat that I was open to earlier apointment)
  • 8/22: recieved txt asking if 8/23 would work for inspection
  • 8/23: innitial inspecion occured. Tech thought it would be easy install and submitted his notes
  • 8/27: chat suggested 3 weeks for designs
  • 9/2: recieved note that additional inspection need
  • 9/6: recieved text that inspection as 7am-5pm on 9/6 (yes on same day).
  • 9: through september I chased designed via e-mail a few times
  • 10/2: full plans recieved. Permit and permission to install submittted
  • 10/15: permit was issued (I only know as I checked city website not because Tesla told me)
  • 11/20: application acepted by power company (but still need design approval). Most of this gap has been delays at power company and back and forth on paperwork with them.

• Informative
Reactions: Matt-FL
Thanks for that very detailed update. The delays seem to align with mine (with the power company).

I did, however, catch Tesla in a lie. In writing, they told me they applied to ComEd "three weeks ago" and had to file again "last week"

When I had my initial installation done in 2022, ComEd gave me access to the contractor website (because the project was in my name). I don't think it was inappropriate because the project is technically mine, but I don't think many people ask for permissions to "ContractorConnect" because they were surprised that I did so.

In that site, I can see the original submission (the one the agent said was filed 3 weeks ago) with a September 7 date on it. It was rejected and Tesla refiled on September 20 (with a new ticket). ComEd asked for supplemental information on 9/27.

You'll never guess what date Tesla followed up on the request for additional information. :rolleyes: The day after I talked with the Tesla agent when he told the truth about the ticket numbers submitted to ComEd, but bald faced lied about the dates.

What a clown show... Just level with me. I share the blame for letting it sit and assuming that you were working on it. I know that I need to ride you guys 3 times a week and I didn't. But, come on.... What's gained in lying to your customer?

Reactions: BGbreeder
Update on my progress on my order for additional powerwal to be addd to existing system:
  • 8/15: site inspection set for 9/12 (I also let them know in shat that I was open to earlier apointment)
  • 8/22: recieved txt asking if 8/23 would work for inspection
  • 8/23: innitial inspecion occured. Tech thought it would be easy install and submitted his notes
  • 9: through september I chased designed via e-mail a few times
  • 10/2: full plans recieved. Permit and permission to install submittted
  • 10/15: permit was issued (I only know as I checked city website not because Tesla told me)
  • 11/20: application acepted by power company (but still need design approval). Most of this gap has been delays at power company and back and forth on paperwork with them.
Hopefully final update on progress.
  • 8/15: site inspection set for 9/12 (I also let them know in chat that I was open to earlier appointment)
  • 8/22: received txt asking if 8/23 would work for inspection
  • 8/23: initial inspection occurred. Tech thought it would be easy install and submitted his notes
  • 9: through September I chased designed via e-mail a few times
  • 10/2: full plans received. Permit and permission to install submitted
  • 10/15: fire permit was issued (I only know as I checked city website not because Tesla told me)
  • 11/20: application accepted by power company (but still need design approval). Most of this gap has been delays at power company and back and forth on paperwork with them.
  • 12/2: Electrical permit submitted (I don't know what happened here. All chat conversations confirmed it was submitted and should be available "soon" but based on city records this is when Tesla first submitted)
  • 1/11/2024: Electrical permit approved (but Tesla needed to pay fees)
  • 1/17/2024: Tesla paid permit fee
  • 1/18/2024: Installation scheduled 2/5
  • 2/5: Installation started but not finished and they were not sure when they would be back
  • 2/7: Tesla returned to complete installation (originally scheduled 2/22 but only after I escalated did they agree to come back earlier)
  • 2/8: Tesla returned for some small tidy up work
  • 2/12: Tesla confirmed that they were getting electrical work re-permitted due to some changes that were necessary
  • 2/13: Fire inspection (pass)
  • 2/14: Tesla returned for some other small fixes
  • 3/6: I followed up with the city to find out why permit revision was taking so long and was told Tesla had only just paid the fee on 3/4 despite being e-mailed on 2/15 asking them to pay - this Never came up in multiple chat conversations with Tesla)
  • 3/11: Permit issued
  • 3/13: Electrical inspection (pass)
  • 3/14: Invoice paid
  • 3/19: Account credited
  • 3/22: Tesla communicated to power company that were ready for PTO
  • 3/28: PTO scheduled (yay!)
So all in about 7 months. Think this could have been done in half the time if Tesla were a little more coordinated. By "project managing" I think I helped cut another couple of months out of timeline (i.e. could have taken 9 months+ if I was not always checking in).

I knew this would be drawn out timeline in advance given other experiences. Advice would be to follow up in chat regularly (copy and save chat responses also) and set up regular live agent chats (I felt there was more follow up from these).