Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls without solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, its allowed to do powerwalls without solar. You would be charging from the grid, and you could charge at off peak rates and then discharge to your home during peak times, to cover peak home usage. You wont get any sort of rebates though (I dont think powerwall gets any rebates or tax credits if installed by itself without being powered from solar/ renewable energy).

Sure, its allowed to do powerwalls without solar. You would be charging from the grid, and you could charge at off peak rates and then discharge to your home during peak times, to cover peak home usage. You wont get any sort of rebates though (I dont think powerwall gets any rebates or tax credits if installed by itself without being powered from solar/ renewable energy).
Thanks, I was wondering if it would still qualify for the SGIP incentives.

Thanks, I was wondering if it would still qualify for the SGIP incentives.

Back in the day, I was one of the early Powerwall installs in the Bay Area. I did two Powerwalls without solar, and I did quality for SGIP (but on the original program).

I documented my entire process (it was hell back then as SGIP was just beginning, and as you will read, early adopters like me spent almost a year trying to get our SGIP money from PG&E) found here:

Source = Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

I don't know if anything has changed in terms of requirement for SGIP between the original program, and this latest program.

Note that even though they qualify for the SGIP, they will not qualify for the federal tax credit, which is a large difference in out-of-pocket cost. Also, unless you qualify for the resiliency budget, I don't think SGIP is currently open for new applications right now. Currently it's listed as "waitlist" here: SGIP | (change the budget category to "small residential storage").