Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall 3 Partial Backup Metering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently had a solar system installed that includes 2x Powerwall 3s and Telsa Backup Gateway 2. We're configured for partial backup with the A/C, Pool Pump, and Furnace remaining on the main panel. All other loads are on the backup panel. Our system is working flawlessly for all the backup loads, and we can monitor the coming and going of power through the system. However, the non-backup loads on the main panel continue to draw power from the grid and are not taking advantage of the self-generated power. I understand that this is because the Powerwall 3 does not support third party monitors, like Neurio that can help solar side determine where power flows from battery to grid. Anyone else experiencing this very frustrating and significant gap in the Powerwall 3 capability? We are continuing to draw ~15kwH per day to support our pool pump and that will double once temperatures start rising and we need our A/C. Is the short-term solution to move all loads to the backup side or wait for Tesla to offer a solution? Interested in your thoughts.

I'm not a PW3 owner, but....
I am thinking that the PW3 is a significant improvement over PW2 in a couple of ways.... 1st, increased output capability allows whole house backup with a few batteries, a single PW 3 can open that possibility for most residences. 2nd, the availability of DC coupled additional storage capacity add-on batteries will be available to allow PW3 owners to resolve the overall storage capacity issue that whole house backup using 1 or 2 PWs will reveal. For installations that use 3 or more PWs, PW3 is not really so much of an advantage.
If my understanding is accurate, I would think that for nearly any PW3 owner, whole house backup would be the preferred config, and when the capacity issues emerge the unnecessary loads can be managed or shut off during grid outages until the additional storage is added.

We recently had a solar system installed that includes 2x Powerwall 3s and Telsa Backup Gateway 2. We're configured for partial backup with the A/C, Pool Pump, and Furnace remaining on the main panel. All other loads are on the backup panel. Our system is working flawlessly for all the backup loads, and we can monitor the coming and going of power through the system. However, the non-backup loads on the main panel continue to draw power from the grid and are not taking advantage of the self-generated power. I understand that this is because the Powerwall 3 does not support third party monitors, like Neurio that can help solar side determine where power flows from battery to grid. Anyone else experiencing this very frustrating and significant gap in the Powerwall 3 capability? We are continuing to draw ~15kwH per day to support our pool pump and that will double once temperatures start rising and we need our A/C. Is the short-term solution to move all loads to the backup side or wait for Tesla to offer a solution? Interested in your thoughts.
If your PW3 is connected to a Tesla Gateway it should have the ability to use Meter Y (100A max) to capture the consumption of non backed up loads.

This assumes there is a way to get wired CT's from the GW area to the wires that feed those loads, and have a place to plug in the GW2.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder

Are you creating more power than you are using?
Are you selling back to the utility?

If your PW3 is connected to a Tesla Gateway it should have the ability to use Meter Y (100A max) to capture the consumption of non backed up loads.

This assumes there is a way to get wired CT's from the GW area to the wires that feed those loads, and have a place to plug in the GW2.
Dug around on Tesla's site a bit and I think I understand what the issue is. Gateway 2 supports Neurio CT meters. Gateway 3 supports some proprietary CT meter than doesn't currently support 200A backup loads.

Site Metering for Gateway 3​

Gateway 3 makes metering simple with its built-in Site meter (Meter Z). Meter Z may be used for a whole home backup configuration only, with no additional steps required during installation. No additional meters can be configured as Site.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Dug around on Tesla's site a bit and I think I understand what the issue is. Gateway 2 supports Neurio CT meters. Gateway 3 supports some proprietary CT meter than doesn't currently support 200A backup loads.

Currently Powerwall 3 is not compatible with Neurio meters, regardless of site controller and islanding hardware.
Powerwall 3 with GW2 is compatible with wired CT's plugged into meter y with 100A max measurement.