Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

QQ on what this door plug is, and ideas to hold door trim in.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took my driver side door trim off to replace that metal paddle in a door handle that had snapped(pretty common). When I had my trim off, I noticed one of these plugs wrapped around the main body of wires that led to other plugs plugged in. Anyone know what plug head this should be going to/controls and why Tesla would have had one unplugged and taped up? Hopefully its not an important component... see pics attached for the plug I am referring to. I have a 2015 Tesla Model S 90D (premium interior package I think).

And one other question. The trim peice I noticed a corner had been harnessed to the metal with this weird nylon loop bolted into the metal(not a kinda bolt you can screw in and out though, like a perma bolt with no head to get at it. So to get my trim off I had to cut that nylon harness in the corner top left of my car door trim section to move the trim far enough off the door to give me working space, problem is once I did that I now realize why I think they had haphazardly added a little harness bolted there, because the clips holding that corner in are weak and now the very top left region of my trim pops out a little when I shut the car door and I am forced to pop it in with my hand every time I get in the car.. Anyone have ideas for how to best fix my trim popping out in that one corner that won't look too bad? any kinda strong putty or something(Maybe a Velcro solution?) I could slip under that corner and press to the door and let dry that will withstand the impact of my car door shutting but won't be such a pain in the butt to peel away from if I ever have to pull this door trim off again? Or has anyone ran into a situation like this before and fixed it? Thanks!

When working with the door cards, I've been able to do everything without cutting that piece of nylon strap you mention. Just unplug connectors if needed and leave the door card resting on the strap (and something like a cardboard box from below). I'm sure it is a PITA to replace since you'll be drilling out the rivet and trying to find suitable replacement. My hypothesis is that it is there for optimizing airbag deployment in crash situation since it doesn't seem to be tensioned when door card is installed. The older card didn't have it so it must not be absolutely critical. I hope you get it fixed.

I've taken the driver's side door card off too many times and the clips became loose after a couple of removals. Part of the reason for unclipping was that the clips are not meant to be reused. Even service manual says to replace them when re-installing. I'm sure you can get right ones from service center, but I bought a bunch of BMW and VAG clips and they work well (e.g. the clip on your above picture is a BMW door clip). There are Toyota type clips elsewhere in the interior as well. Just take example clip with you to a local car parts store and compare. Other option is to order a bag of many type of clips online.

Something you could try before new clips (because the old ones should work just fine at least a couple of times): remove the card entirely, double check that no harnesses and dampening material is in wrong areas and re-align the clips carefully. Material in center areas where there is no space for them will work against the clips. There are black alignment studs on front and rear of the door which need to be aligned before re-attaching any clips. The upper part is held by a series of metal clips on the window trim side - this needs to be carefully aligned or will pop up. When all is aligned, give a good thud with palm of your hand step by step around the door. The best area to start with is the upper window trim metal clips because they need to be aligned well and in worst case could bend. It does take force to get them all clip properly into place. Then do it it again just for fun.

Glue or anything permanent is of course not recommended, because we'll all end up fixing handles (or having them fixed) sooner or later.

Yes - BMW clips and same sub supplier text on the backs of trim pieces as with any European car. Yet once installed in California, the "experts" call them inferior quality.

Last edited:
@Saimaannorppa Thanks for the insight. Appreciate it. I think I did get 1 spare door clip with my kit I could use on that one corner that will not stay pushed in. I really don't want to pop it off if possible but slip something under the 1 inch gap I can pull it away with when that top clip is popped out. I may opt for a little behind the trim Velcro option where one piece has a sticky side against the metal and the other side Velcro to the trim peice. Hidden recessed under the main trim in the corner ideally. Need to see if there is a flat surface a patch of that could work on.