Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Charging new Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They put a 50A outlet type on a 30A circuit with only 30A rated wire. What were they thinking? That should get replaced with a 14-30, and then you buy the Tesla 14-30 plug, and it will enforce the amps properly.

It's not that terrible because the wire is properly protected with a 30amp breaker. I imagine the 14-50 outlet is a typo because the most common generator outlet is 30 amps.

Reactions: Eric33432
Picking up my model 3 Saturday, I have my home charger coming Monday and already have a 30A 220 receptacle in my garage about 10 ft from the door where I park.
Assuming that the receptacle is a 14-30R (newer dryer outlet) or 10-30R (older dryer outlet) and the circuit is otherwise correct for 30A capacity (wiring, breaker), then an EVSE that can do 24A can be used on it (EV charging should be up to 80% of the circuit's capacity.

The Tesla Wall Connector can be set to 24A. It is designed for hardwire installation, so the hardwire installation would replace the outlet. The Tesla Mobile Connector can be used with plug ends for 14-30 or 10-30. These plug ends will tell the Tesla Mobile Connector to tell the car to charge at no more than 24A.

Reactions: Eric33432
Hey, OP - Using the Tesla mobile connector at 240v, 30A on my Standard Range Model 3, I get 24-25 miles of range per hour of charging. That's at 24A charging, of course. But it's more than the 15-20 miles per hour you were expecting.

Re: the 80% rule, is that mainly used in case your receptacle is not high quality and in case other appliances are used on the same circuit?
In other words, if an electrician installed a new 14-50 or 6-50 high quality receptacle and dedicated circuit and breaker, so nothing but the charger would be using it, would it be OK to dial it up to, say 90%?
Or is it that continuous load requires lower current, and the 50A would be for burst current?

Never mind. I just saw elsewhere that the rule is for continuous load. Sorry about that. Chief! :)

Last edited:
A 50 amp receptacle and 50 amp breaker are rated and designed to handle a sustained 50 amp load infinitely without ever tripping or overheating past spec. NEC is what dictates the 80% rule for dedicated loads. As such, it is a moot point because Tesla's 14-50 adapter will not let you draw more than 40 amps in accordance with this rule.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Picking up my model 3 Saturday, I have my home charger coming Monday and already have a 30A 220 receptacle in my garage about 10 ft from the door where I park.

Will 30A be suitable for 15-20 miles per hour of charge? I would hate to run new 8ga wire “builder installed 10ga and a 30A at 220v” and pop in a new breaker as this was already in place with my new one build.

Tesla model 3 standard range if that’s required.
The North American LFP M3 RWD has a maximum AC charge rate of ~7kw (240v/32A). The rule of thumb is that you get about 4 miles of range per kw of charge. 220V/24a charging will give you ~20 miles of range per hour of charging. Unless you have an incredibly long commute your existing setup is more than sufficient.