Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about electricity consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a Tesla Wall Connector installed. I have the max output current set at 48 amps. I drive a RWD which charges at max with 32 amps.

If I charged my car for 1 hour. Would the electricity bill be the same if I had the max output current set at 48, 40, or 32?

If I charged my car for 1 hour. Would the electricity bill be the same if I had the max output current set at 48, 40, or 32?

In your case, yes, since your car wont charge any faster than 32amps.

I didnt understand your question at first, because its fairly obvious that a car charging at 48amps would use more electricity (thus cost more) over a car charging at 32amp, but then I re read it and realized you were saying "because I have a car that has a max charge rate of 32amps, does it matter / does it cost me more if I commission the wall connector for a higher speed?

The answer in your case is "no" like I said, since your car will only charge at 32amps (on a Level 2 wall connector), no matter how fast the wall connector can provide.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for the prompt replies.

I guess the car is asking for 32 amps and that's what I'm consuming and that's what I get charged for.

Likewise, a hair dryer that plugs into an outlet asks for more electric so it consumes more and be billed more compared to a lighter household appliance.

Thanks again!