Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about handicapped modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone modified their Model 3 to allow for hand controls? I have a friend who can't use his legs and uses modifications on his current car to allow acceleration and braking using hand controls. The self driving (limited as it might be) would obviously be a big help as his arms get tired when he controls his current car on long trips.

One concern I had was him getting his fold up wheelchair onto the passenger seat without damaging the center screen.

Advice from anyone that has dealt with these issues would be appreciated.

There was a recent video posted of a Model X owner that used a wheelchair. Highlighted a few of the reasons that it worked well for her. A couple of the mods I remember were:
  • Hand controls and extensive use of autopilot on the road and summon In parking lots
  • Used a wheelchair that broke down into several pieces (wheels, frame, seats), which she stowed in the 2nd row when driving alone
  • Use of PPF or other film on door and center console to protect that from scratches by the wheelchair
The Model 3 has the display sticking out from the dash, which does seem like it would get in the way a little more than in something like the Model X. While the Model Y will have the same display setup, a potentially larger space for the driver may make loading easier in that vehicle.

They may want to call the local showroom to see if they can bring their wheelchair for a test fit on the floor model. While it didn’t pose as much risk of damage to the interior, for my parent’s recent car purchase, finding a trunk large enough to fit my mother’s 4 wheel walker was a hard requirement for any vehicle being considered and was one of the first things they tried on a new model.

While I can’t make specific comments on the suitability of the Model 3, I wish them luck in finding their next vehicle.

This was their first video from almost a year ago with a Model 3 rigged with hand controls

and the more recent video from a few weeks ago that I remember seeing posted here on TMC, which was with a Model X

A search on YouTube of “Tesla wheelchair” looks like most videos are talking about the Model X.

I put the chair upright, facing in on the folded second row in my 5 seat Model X. From the drivers seat, I twist around in the driver's seat, tip it back 90 degrees, grab the left front wheel, and sort of roll it up and in. Never thought it would turn out to be doable, but it forced me to reach, stretch and strain till it got easier. It does, however beat up the seats and lower driver's door upholstery. Push handles just fit under the FWD glass, though it's a strain to lock the right brake so it doesn't roll around too much. Remember to always lower the car before getting out- it makes a huge difference.

I only ever managed to get into a non-driver's seat once. Very hard because there's nothing to grab getting in.

I'd never dream of trying to put it in the passenger seat, beating up the dash. Wish there was a rear seat removal setting so I could have a 2-seat cargo Tesla! That would be perfect.

Search the forums for "wheel chair", others are asking about this.