Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding Ceramic Coating & Ceramic Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone

I have 2 questions, the first one being, does it matter if I get ceramic coating done before ceramic tinting, or vice versa?

My second question is about whether or not I should shell out more money to get the ceramic tint done at what I believe is the most skilled shop in Northern California: OCDetailing?

Now I know some of you are cringing at the thought of paying such a high premium on the ceramic coating to get it done with them, and Im no fan of paying a ton more when I can save money and pay about $700 instead of paying $1200 (that's the average that other shops quoted versus how expensive the quote was from OCDetailing).

HOWEVER... I think since doing research on the ceramic tint process as well as watching Youtube videos on it, that it is a sensitive process that can potentially mess up a Model 3 (because all of the electrical components) if the technician isnt particularly skilled at applying it (since they have to wash all of the glass on the inside before applying the tint).
Also I know many shops struggle with doing the entirety of the rear window in one piece, which is another reason its important that the technicians are skilled and experienced with applying it properly.

To add onto that I especially think it may be worth it since the ceramic tint is something that is pretty much only done once throughout the life of the car, whereas ceramic coating is reapplied every 2-3 years, so its another reason that it would make sense to perhaps pay more and get it done at the most reputable place.

Although I could be completely wrong and blowing it out of proportion, so please give me your thoughts, and if you have any recommendations on shops other than OCDetailing for ceramic tinting (or ceramic coating), please let me know.

Thank you!

Don't think it matters if you do the window tint and paint ceramic coating together or separate, the tint film goes on the inside of the window:

For the tint, any professional shop should only do the back window in one piece, and will place special?-highly absorbent towels/pads at the base of the windows in order to protect the car/components.

I live in Florida and have always tinted my vehicles

For my Red M3 which I'm picking up this week the tint I'm going with:

Sides & Back @ 30%: Xpel Prime XR Plus (Ceramic & IR) - $600. Told that it blocks out 60% heat with 98% Infrared Heat Rejection.
Front windshield -clear: Xpel Prime XR Plus (Ceramic & IR) - $250.
I'm not tinting the roof but the quote was: Xpel Prime XR Plus (Ceramic & IR) - $200

The 3M Crystalline would cost an extra $250 overall, was advised the Xpel looks better and the heat/infrared specs are about the same.

Still debating the ceramic coating, but am getting the full front wrapped (bumper, fenders, hood, & mirrors).
Was advised they do the paint prep first, then wrap, then do the ceramic coat which also goes over the wrap.

Post pictures when yours is done.

Ceramic coating for the paint and ceramic tint for the windows are 2 completely different things and are independent of each other. You can do them in any order. That said, I would prioritize getting any type of paint protection done asap. The Tesla Model 3 is an amazing car, but it is common knowledge that the paint is very soft and prone to problems. So if I were you, I would focus on getting the ceramic paint protection done asap. Then you could get the ceramic window tinting shortly thereafter.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Don't think it matters if you do the window tint and paint ceramic coating together or separate, the tint film goes on the inside of the window:

For the tint, any professional shop should only do the back window in one piece, and will place special?-highly absorbent towels/pads at the base of the windows in order to protect the car/components.

I live in Florida and have always tinted my vehicles

For my Red M3 which I'm picking up this week the tint I'm going with:

Sides & Back @ 30%: Xpel Prime XR Plus (Ceramic & IR) - $600. Told that it blocks out 60% heat with 98% Infrared Heat Rejection.
Front windshield -clear: Xpel Prime XR Plus (Ceramic & IR) - $250.
I'm not tinting the roof but the quote was: Xpel Prime XR Plus (Ceramic & IR) - $200

The 3M Crystalline would cost an extra $250 overall, was advised the Xpel looks better and the heat/infrared specs are about the same.

Still debating the ceramic coating, but am getting the full front wrapped (bumper, fenders, hood, & mirrors).
Was advised they do the paint prep first, then wrap, then do the ceramic coat which also goes over the wrap.

Post pictures when yours is done.

Thanks for the detailed post!

So Im thinking then that it may be worth it to pay extra to have the tint done by the most reputable shop since its a one-time thing as well as having the potential to ruin the tesla if even slightly improperly executed.

As far as the percentages on the side front windows, I live in CA, and I think the minimum front side window tint is 70%... However I dont think its common for officers to pull you over just for that (especially since my white interior will make it look lighter than what it really is.

I thought it was recommended to tint the roof as well as the rear window as a single piece?

0A4E9F6E-FA71-407C-8530-096B9FDE4413.jpeg
83CA0B66-7268-4F98-BCB0-332A672C1EEF.jpeg
572E21F8-B990-41B0-925F-7C0DFE2E8584.jpeg
Mr Tint in Santa Clara does great work.