Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model X Front Windshield Tint Installation Methods and Warranty Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am looking to get my 2023 Model X front windshield tinted (along with all windows and sunroof) and had a few questions.

1. Few shops are telling me that they can install 1-piece ceramic tint on the front windshield without removing any plastic covers or cameras. On the other hand, some shops say that they disconnect the cameras and plastic first, then install 1-piece ceramic tint. What would you say is a better installation method?

2. Would installing ceramic tint across all windows, including front windshield and sunroof void any Tesla warranty?

3. Are there any windshield or sunroof cracking issues due to ceramic tint trapping heat?

Thank you for your help!

Mirrored films REFLECT solar heat. The same principal as a Silver sunshade. Ceramic films block heat in a different manner. Ceramic tint ABSORBS heat. Any remaining rays that the ceramic tint is unable to absorb, makes its way into the Cabin. A ceramic tinted window gets extremely hot. This thermal stress causes the glass to crack. Just Google: “Tesla Cracking Tint”

Tinting below the AS-1 line is illegal. Tesla will notice the Windshield tint, then deny warranty on anything electrical- related. This has happened to owners, who then had to pay out of pocket. Magnuson-Moss won’t save you. Some shops refuse to tint the Front Windshield on Teslas. Just Google: “Tesla Electronics Fried by Windshield Tint Install”

• Informative
Reactions: towndrunk
Upvote 0
Hi,

I am looking to get my 2023 Model X front windshield tinted (along with all windows and sunroof) and had a few questions.
1. Few shops are telling me that they can install 1-piece ceramic tint on the front windshield without removing any plastic covers or cameras. On the other hand, some shops say that they disconnect the cameras and plastic first, then install 1-piece ceramic tint. What would you say is a better installation method?
2. Would installing ceramic tint across all windows, including front windshield and sunroof void any Tesla warranty?
3. Are there any windshield or sunroof cracking issues due to ceramic tint trapping heat?
Personally, I skipped the windshield and just did the front sides. All the rear glass, including the tops, is already tinted. My shop can do the windshield with one piece. But it costs a thousand bucks, plus it is quite likely you will have to replace the windshield a few times in the life of the car. It's technically illegal in my state (probably most). I just did not want the hassle, possibly multiple times.

Upvote 0