Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick road trip thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matt L

Jul 20, 2018
OK USA
Drove from Sacramento to Las Vegas. It was about 580 miles. I have a LR RWD with 19” wheels. I have ceramic tinted windows and the Tesla roof shade. I drive 74 in a 65 zone and 78 in a 70 zone. The temps were mid to high 90s

I saw about 280 to 300 wh/mi. Knowing that’s well above what the car uses to estimate range I started with giving myself 80-100 miles extra range but my first two stops got me to the SC with about 26 miles range left. I wasn’t really bothered by that but it wasn’t really ideal.

Based on that, I think the sweet spot is to ignore the automatic charging recommendations and locations, and select SCs that are about 130-150 miles apart. Charge to 270-280 and go. Drive like a normal car and forget about the range stuff. You will arrive at the SC with about 60-80 range left and can easily charge back up in 20-30 min. That’s the perfect amount of time to stretch the legs, use the bathroom and grab a drink.

I think the computer will stretch you beyond what the car can actually do, which I don’t really understand why it doesn’t do better pulling in your historic averages to inform the computations. Seems like that would give you accurate trip planning.

Also, the SC network is the killer feature right now. The speed at which you can travel is remarkable. My wife was following me in an ICE car and we were never delayed waiting on charging.

I’d also be interested in seeing actual range numbers of the Jag and Audi when driving at 78mph. I would say my cars actual range at that speed in closer to 260 than 320. I bet their hit is much worse.

• Informative
Reactions: Tysto
The range estimates are based off of an average speed of 65mph so that sounds about right. I recently completed a ~2400 mile road trip from Houston, TX to Miami, FL and our experiences with regards to range are quite similar. It's worth noting that drag increases as the cube of velocity so while the speed increases may seem marginal, the overall energy required to overcome the additional drag generated increases exponentially. In my experience, maintaining speeds between 55-65mph yields the best highway range by far. In any case, I agree with your point regarding the overall convenience of supercharging and as the charging rates continue to increase (1000mi/hr is going to be incredible) road trips in our Tesla's will become even more enjoyable.

Reactions: Matt L
Makes sense. People tend to drive a lot faster on road trips since the highways are fast and open. Most of your trip was probably at 78 I'm assuming?

Good rule of thumb you're proposing. Sucks for the wife that she was in the ICE. :p
Yeah about 78. But between her and a couple of boys they were doing good to go two hours. One time she even stopped a little short to use the restroom.

I think this is an area Tesla could improve the trip planning software. It’s built too much around efficiency. There needs to be a “real-world” mode.

Reactions: Tysto
The range estimates are based off of an average speed of 65mph so that sounds about right. I recently completed a ~2400 mile road trip from Houston, TX to Miami, FL and our experiences with regards to range are quite similar. It's worth noting that drag increases as the cube of velocity so while the speed increases may seem marginal, the overall energy required to overcome the additional drag generated increases exponentially. In my experience, maintaining speeds between 55-65mph yields the best highway range by far. In any case, I agree with your point regarding the overall convenience of supercharging and as the charging rates continue to increase (1000mi/hr is going to be incredible) road trips in our Tesla's will become even more enjoyable.
65 and probably not the beefy 19” wheels

Reactions: Ad Astra