Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realtime Production Updates...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took a test drive of a M3 AWD and I've seen the light. I'm resigned to the fact that I'll most likely never buy a ICE vehicle again. I have a BMW 335 now and the wind noise drives me crazy (60 MPH+) along with the smell from the AC. Similar problems are apparent in the M3 from what I've seen posted here. Hearing how Tesla makes changes throughout the model year, does anyone know what areas they've improved since 18, or currently working on rectifying in 19? I drive a lot for work (25k yearly) and I don't want have the same issues that drive me crazy in a new car, I'm looking to keep for a long time. Has Tesla been receptive to wind noise complaints or other areas of improvement opportunities? 70 decibels seems really high for a premium vehicle. I'm not super picky, but I'd like feel like I'm getting a well built, quality vehicle for 50K.

Areas of concern:
Real world range in the North East in all seasons
Paint quality
Road noise

So if anyone has taken delivery within the past couple of weeks I'd appreciate any input you have on areas that have been prone to criticism.

I have been happy with the overall noise level in the cabin of both our Model 3’s. Coming from a Lexus LS460 I was expecting a big increase in noise. It’s not as quiet as the Lexus but generally it’s quite acceptable.

Some people have reported issues with wind noise that seems to be related to leaks in the seals of the sunroof. That has more to do with the overall QC process though. Road noise is generally acceptable although on rough or bumpy roads the car is going to be noisier than some other luxury cars. And the suspension does not absorb bumps as well as my Lexus on rough roads, but that’s to be expected in a sports sedan.

I would try and do an extended test drive if you can to see if noise is going to be an issue for you. It’s very subjective so it’s important for you to experience it yourself.

Given the all glass design its unlikely there will ever be a noise reduction. Its more noticeable because there is no engine noise to mask it. They might do a noise cancelling thing with the speakers but that's probably unlikely as well. I don't think its any worse than any other car outside an S class or RR type vehicle though.