Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear door on my Model S won't stay in the open position

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi friends ! I have a 2015 Model S that the rear driver's side door will not stay in the open position when I fully open the door. As soon as I release the door, it closes which is a real problem as it has hit the rear passenger in the leg on numerous occasions. I'm hoping one of my fellow members has an answer to alleviate this problem.
Thanks, Rick

Quite possible the hinges are out of alignment. This can cause the metal frame to bend slightly acting like a spring. I had similar happen when I had to replace a drivers door hinge, because tesla's crappy weld cracked making the door creak and pop wen open and closing. Took a number of tries to get it alligned properly since I didn't have 1: Someone to help me, 2: A alignment fixture.

Upvote 0
Quite possible the hinges are out of alignment. This can cause the metal frame to bend slightly acting like a spring. I had similar happen when I had to replace a drivers door hinge, because tesla's crappy weld cracked making the door creak and pop wen open and closing. Took a number of tries to get it alligned properly since I didn't have 1: Someone to help me, 2: A alignment fixture.
Hi. Thanks for the information. Did you have Tesla fix the hinge ? If so, how much did they charge ?

Upvote 0
No, I did it myself. Got the part on ebay for $15 shipped.
Hello again. Could you share what the part is called please.. Also was it an easy fix ? It looks like you just remove a nut and replace the hinge. Am I correct or is there more to it than that ? Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. One more question: Am I correct that there is actually an upper and lower hinge ?

Upvote 0
Hello again. Could you share what the part is called please.. Also was it an easy fix ? It looks like you just remove a nut and replace the hinge. Am I correct or is there more to it than that ? Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. One more question: Am I correct that there is actually an upper and lower hinge ?
Just did Model S door hinge. There is front and rear, as well as upper and lower.
Of course, used prices vary. model s hinge for sale | eBay

Upvote 0