Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen limits this morning ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
My car charged from 5-7am this morning. At 9 am I get in the car and notice that I have regen limits starting at about -10. According to my Weather Station the minimum temperature overnight was 13.7C.

Why would I have regen limits in these temperatures with a recently charged battery?

Sorry I don't have a Tesla yet... But let me try to understand what happened...

So does Regen limit normally happens when the car is close to fully charged and doesn't want to dump the energy in the already full battery?

In general does Regen get affected by temperature? I don't see why but I get the since it normally does from your comment but I guess not in these temperature...

Sorry newbe in the Tesla world...

Regen limits occur when the battery is nearly full (full regen power is 60 kW and you can't put anywhere near that amount of power into a nearly full battery without damaging it), when the battery is cold, and when the battery is too hot. In all cases, Tesla limits the maximum power put into the battery to avoid damaging it.

Note that in these edge cases (almost full, cold, hot) the car also limits how much power you can recharge your battery at when plugged into a supercharger, same reason.

The 100% case explains it as I charged to 100% as I am going on a trip this afternoon. I thought it was solely temperature that affected this, but the 100% makes sense as you can't really charge a full battery.

But for Canadians the normal regen issue is cold weather. In the winter I try to end by battery charging at 7am to minimize regen limits as charging warms up the battery, or at least the battery is warmed to facilitate charging.