TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regen limits this morning ???

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wayner, May 22, 2016.

1. wayner

wayner Active Member

My car charged from 5-7am this morning. At 9 am I get in the car and notice that I have regen limits starting at about -10. According to my Weather Station the minimum temperature overnight was 13.7C.

Why would I have regen limits in these temperatures with a recently charged battery?

2. Blackout

Blackout Member

Sorry I don't have a Tesla yet... But let me try to understand what happened...

So does Regen limit normally happens when the car is close to fully charged and doesn't want to dump the energy in the already full battery?

In general does Regen get affected by temperature? I don't see why but I get the since it normally does from your comment but I guess not in these temperature...

Sorry newbe in the Tesla world...

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Regen limits typically happen if the battery pack gets into the single digits degrees C.

Also if you charge to 100% you will have some regen limit.

4. Blackout

Blackout Member

Hmmm I see... Any idea why that is?

5. Blackout

Blackout Member

Hey you know in old cars sometimes the temperature sensors are not accurate? Maybe it detected a single digits temp inaccurately not long enough to log but fast enough to trigger the Regen limit interrupt...

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Regen limits occur when the battery is nearly full (full regen power is 60 kW and you can't put anywhere near that amount of power into a nearly full battery without damaging it), when the battery is cold, and when the battery is too hot. In all cases, Tesla limits the maximum power put into the battery to avoid damaging it.

Note that in these edge cases (almost full, cold, hot) the car also limits how much power you can recharge your battery at when plugged into a supercharger, same reason.

7. wayner

wayner Active Member

The 100% case explains it as I charged to 100% as I am going on a trip this afternoon. I thought it was solely temperature that affected this, but the 100% makes sense as you can't really charge a full battery.

But for Canadians the normal regen issue is cold weather. In the winter I try to end by battery charging at 7am to minimize regen limits as charging warms up the battery, or at least the battery is warmed to facilitate charging.