Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing Gen 2 Wall connector Delta terminal block

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I grabbed a well-used Gen 2 Wall Connector with a known bad terminal block pretty cheap hoping that I could repair it. Turns out it's not that hard.
Although I have a model 3, I figured this was the best place to post this as this 80A Wall Connector is likely only used by older Model S/X owners.

If your terminal blocks look like this, or have any damage to the main green input terminal blocks, it can be replaced!

IMG_1789.JPG

Disassembly is very straightforward, there's no hidden screws or anything. As you can see above/below the terminal block was TOAST, and it smells so bad it's indescribable.

IMG_1791.JPG

Desoldering the old terminal block is the hardest part, there are 8 pins that all need to come out at once with tons of thermal mass making it very hard to desolder and remove.

IMG_1801.JPG

Once removed the old terminal block is quarantined in a ziplock bag because it smells sooooo bad. The PCB is cleaned up with desolder braid to get the old solder out of the holes.

IMG_1803.JPG

The new terminal block is soldered in place.

IMG_1805.JPG

The "Delta" board is reinstalled, and a small label is added to match the original markings.

IMG_1806.JPG

I'd hate for these wall connectors to end up in the trash just for a bad terminal block.
The terminal block is available online from various places and is made by Phoenix Contact Part # 1932494 (I purchased from Digikey)

Now you've made me want to open up my 10 year old gen 1 wall connector and tighten the connections...

Edit, just checked it, all good. One of the electrolytic capacitors looks like its going to blow, but that's to be expected for a 10 year old piece of power electronics.

Last edited:
Now you've made me want to open up my 10 year old gen 1 wall connector and tighten the connections...

Edit, just checked it, all good. One of the electrolytic capacitors looks like its going to blow, but that's to be expected for a 10 year old piece of power electronics.
That's actually not a terrible idea to keep these things humming along. I love these Gen 2 HPWC and I want to keep them chugging along until the end of time. I've got two installed currently and two more waiting for when we finally go solar and upgrade our home's crappy service to a more modern supply level. I've got no idea why I need four but I mostly want to do it because I can on a single circuit. :cool:

This is the sort of thing I love to see. I'm mostly wanting a Gen 2 for 72A charging my car supports but long term repair has me pondering a Gen 3 for warranty and usability.

How is the front panel on that used one you bought?
I bought this as an inexpensive way to get away from my Chargepoint home + Tesla adapter. I've found this winter my charge port builds up ice and I can't open it by touch, I need to open it in the app or car which (first world problems) got annoying. I have a RWD Model 3, so I can only charge at 32A so this unit is a bit of a waste on my car.

Sadly it has a cracked front panel with missing screw and the area you secure it is broken off, but it seems to stay on if nobody hits it. No harm in my garage but this was cheaper than another Mobile connector, although the cable is FAT.

If you don't need to charge at 72A, the Gen 3 is probably a better idea, or keep your eyes open for a Gen 2 with bad terminal blocks :)

Reactions: uxixu