Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Accepting the quote is just that - a quote. You've not committed to the work until you sign for the work. Besides, I doubt any tech wants to become famous for voiding all common sense and installing a MCU1 eMMC update daughterboard and reinstalling a MCU1 after removing a MCU2 unit. (He would simply update the supervisor of the situation and not perform that work.) I am confident.
Thanks, I assume they would get it right but the work order was more likely to mean this was not a mobile service. Got through to Tesla by phone just now, and they saw the issue - apparently, a routine upgrade flag on older vehicles that inserts itself regardless (hopefully different programmers to FSD :-0 )- but they were going to contact SC directly to have the quote altered. Hopefully, this will now progress. Thanks again for the response.

My 2014 MCU1 just got stuck this morning on the rear camera view - it's displaying the rear camera view while the car is on or off, and I'm able to drive in some kind of limited functionality mode with no access to my own settings. I've tried both the double-scroll and the four-finger reboot method - neither is managing to reboot the MCU touchscreen.

Has anyone had an experience where the center screen was eventually able to reboot, after getting stuck on the rear camera view? I'm just trying to survive for a few weeks until I can get this fixed. My SC appointment is a couple of weeks away. The main function I would like to recover, even if just temporarily, is to be able to adjust my max charge level.

Thanks for any advice folks may be able to offer.

My 2014 MCU1 just got stuck this morning on the rear camera view - it's displaying the rear camera view while the car is on or off, and I'm able to drive in some kind of limited functionality mode with no access to my own settings. I've tried both the double-scroll and the four-finger reboot method - neither is managing to reboot the MCU touchscreen.

That is the "failsafe" mode, once the eMMC gets bad enough it goes into this mode to get you access to the features that are required.

The main function I would like to recover, even if just temporarily, is to be able to adjust my max charge level.
Can you change that via the app, or does that not work either?

That is the "failsafe" mode, once the eMMC gets bad enough it goes into this mode to get you access to the features that are required.

Can you change that via the app, or does that not work either?
I'm one of those non-tech oriented folks who let the 3G modem sunset without doing anything about it, so no access to charging through the app - and I do not think this would work anyways with a crippled MCU. Just sucks for me that I reduced my max level to 70% right before this happened.

I'm one of those non-tech oriented folks who let the 3G modem sunset without doing anything about it, so no access to charging through the app
And you don't have any WiFi setup that the car could connect to?

and I do not think this would work anyways with a crippled MCU.
Yeah, I wasn't sure about that, but it is worth a try.

For those interested Tesla has only remediated ~66% of the impacted vehicles as of April 30th.

1692190695332.png

At the current rate it will only be another two years until they have completed them all...

What year is your Model S Wally? Did you say that you cannot get into the cars settings on your center screen?
It looks like after some research you have a 2014 year model.
Yes, it's a 2014, and the center screen currently is stuck on the rear camera view. I guess I feel lucky that they created a limited functionality mode specifically for this event, and so I can drive around with basic safety features for a few weeks.

Thanks! The problem is that I have to accept the quote and that will also determine whether I can use a Mobile Service or how long they would plan to keep the car (SC is 2 hours away). Anyway, I have replied to them in the booking notes and hope they will fix and requote.
Message them through the app to remove it from the quote. That is what I used to do when Tesla would include stuff in the quite which I did not want (such as tire rotation), they would just push out another quote for me to approve with the items removed.

Found out that my car will still supercharge. The IC display while supercharging doesn't seem accurate, however, as far as the charging speed and time remaining goes. The time remaining stays fixed and then occasionally jumps, so it seems to be periodically updating instead of continuously reporting the time remaining. The amperage also shows the cap of 8A that applies to home charging, but it appears to be charging faster than that.

If I put my VIN number into the "Tesla recall VIN search page" and ir returns with "no recalls" is it safe to say the eMMC recall has been performed on my vehicle? I am dealing with an intermittently blank center screen and I'm trying to figure out what direction to go in as far as fixing it

If I put my VIN number into the "Tesla recall VIN search page" and ir returns with "no recalls" is it safe to say the eMMC recall has been performed on my vehicle? I am dealing with an intermittently blank center screen and I'm trying to figure out what direction to go in as far as fixing it

I don't think so. I tried a dozen random VINs from those years and none came up with a recall for the eMMC chip.
I think the eMMC was a voluntary recall and not an NHTSC recall which is what I think that page is showing.

I don't think so. I tried a dozen random VINs from those years and none came up with a recall for the eMMC chip.
I think the eMMC was a voluntary recall and not an NHTSC recall which is what I think that page is showing.
While it was a voluntary recall, NHTSA said they were going to force it if Tesla didn't do it "voluntarily", it is an official NHTSA safety recall, that should be tracked by the recall tracker. Last I checked Tesla reported that they had remediated ~66% of the effected vehicles. (I think another report is due any day now.)

1694903814823.png

Reactions: aesculus
Check Tesla app, it used to show my recall was pending until I did it just before I sold my Model S. You can also contact Tesla, heck, just schedule emmc recall and see if they come back with "already done". If they quote you a large sum, just decline the quote.