Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repetitive sound from front end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC,

Recently my p3D started making an odd repetitive noise at low speeds. It seems to go away above 30 mph and speeds up and slows down with the speed of the car. I’ve also noticed my wh/mill has gone up but that may be more related to snow.

Here is a video with the sound. Reminds me of an old locomotive. :(

I’ve got a service appointment scheduled but it’s not until next Thursday.

Hey TMC,

Recently my p3D started making an odd repetitive noise at low speeds. It seems to go away above 30 mph and speeds up and slows down with the speed of the car. I’ve also noticed my wh/mill has gone up but that may be more related to snow.

Here is a video with the sound. Reminds me of an old locomotive. :(

I’ve got a service appointment scheduled but it’s not until next Thursday.

Choo choo!!!

I heard something a lot milder than that on a loaner I drove. On that one, I was told “brake rotor rust was touching the caliper pad”.
I couldn’t believe a tech would, on one hand word it like that and on the other hand insist, with a straight face, that it’s not something to be concerned about.

Check all your wheel nuts for proper torque, some may be loose. Do it NOW, sounds like that should not be ignored as they may point to something serious.

If the nuts are OK, then check for a loose wheel well liner. If that’s not it either, stop driving it and take it in. Whether it’s a brake component or a busted CV joint or the front drive unit, you should avoid driving it, in case it can turn into something more serious.

Last edited: