Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Returning Lease on the day of Delivery? Plate transfer on the same day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I ordered MYP, and my current plate is on my MB lease, I would like to transfer my plate to MYP after returning the MB.

I wanna know how should I do this and what do I need to take back when I return my lease?

Do I take back the registration and 2 plates, drop the car, and just go to Tesla on the same day and Tesla will be able to transfer my registration and plate on the spot right on the delivery day?

Can I do that back to back on the same day coz if not, I might have to arrange a few days before my delivery day to return the car firsrt.

Can you all give some advice?

Hi all,

I ordered MYP, and my current plate is on my MB lease, I would like to transfer my plate to MYP after returning the MB.

I wanna know how should I do this and what do I need to take back when I return my lease?

Do I take back the registration and 2 plates, drop the car, and just go to Tesla on the same day and Tesla will be able to transfer my registration and plate on the spot right on the delivery day?

Can I do that back to back on the same day coz if not, I might have to arrange a few days before my delivery day to return the car firsrt.

Can you all give some advice?
I had this situation and it all worked out really well.

My lease was up on Dec. 3 and the delivery of my new MYLR, ordered months before, was finally scheduled for Nov. 22.

I requested to turn in the lease on Nov. 22, a bit early, and was given permission, no penalty.

Then on Nov. 22 morning, I drove in the lease car to the service center in the morning, dropped it off and went to have a cup of coffee until my afternoon pickup appointment. They even transferred the license plates for me. Registration handled, no need for me to contact the DMV. Just a call to the insurance company to drop the old, add the new. I had agonized about the logistics of all this, but it turned out to be very smooth, with no hassle.

I had this situation and it all worked out really well.

My lease was up on Dec. 3 and the delivery of my new MYLR, ordered months before, was finally scheduled for Nov. 22.

I requested to turn in the lease on Nov. 22, a bit early, and was given permission, no penalty.

Then on Nov. 22 morning, I drove in the lease car to the service center in the morning, dropped it off and went to have a cup of coffee until my afternoon pickup appointment. They even transferred the license plates for me. Registration handled, no need for me to contact the DMV. Just a call to the insurance company to drop the old, add the new. I had agonized about the logistics of all this, but it turned out to be very smooth, with no hassle.
your situation is exactly my answer. and I can see your are from NY too so im more comfortable doing it last minute then , thank you. One extra question, so u just have to take the 2 plates back from the lease company and bring it to tesla for them to screw it on right? do they just print u out the new registraiton and license plates on the spot or you still had to wait for it to come in the mail and leave Tesla with a temp, plate?

your situation is exactly my answer. and I can see your are from NY too so im more comfortable doing it last minute then , thank you. One extra question, so u just have to take the 2 plates back from the lease company and bring it to tesla for them to screw it on right? do they just print u out the new registraiton and license plates on the spot or you still had to wait for it to come in the mail and leave Tesla with a temp, plate?
I just dropped off the leased Tesla with the plates on. The folks at the service center (Mt. Kisco) physically transferred the plates to the new car--I didn't even need to use the screwdriver I'd brought along. They gave me a temporary registration sticker with the plates correctly listed. The permanent one from DMV came a few weeks later. I guess in your case, your leased car is not a Tesla, so yes, you'd have to bring your plates from your lease drop-off point to the Tesla service center.

Reactions: brkaus
I just dropped off the leased Tesla with the plates on. The folks at the service center (Mt. Kisco) physically transferred the plates to the new car--I didn't even need to use the screwdriver I'd brought along. They gave me a temporary registration sticker with the plates correctly listed. The permanent one from DMV came a few weeks later. I guess in your case, your leased car is not a Tesla, so yes, you'd have to bring your plates from your lease drop-off point to the Tesla service center.
This is it! Thank you for answering the questions.