Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rusty Rear Licence Plate Skrews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After going through winter and finally getting around to manual cleaning of the car I was disappointed to see one of the black screws leaving a rust trail on my licence plate. I had this happen on my last car too and it damaged the paint.
20190404_190347.jpg

Here's what I did to remedy the situation.

My first thought was that I'd pull it out and put in a nylon screw. After taking the screw out I found that I couldn't find a nylon screw that would work. The model 3 uses a type of self tapping metal screw that is driven in to a plastic mount.
LRG_DSC02715.JPG

I decided that if I couldn't make it all plastic, my next option would be to use stainless steel. All of the stainless screws that I could find didn't have a big enough head. Even the stock screw wasn't properly sized to fit the plate holes.

In the end I went with the following that I could find at Canadian Tire:
-Stainless steel #10 x 1/2" sheet metal screws
-#12 flat washers (I couldn't find #10 with a wide enough diameter)

These just replaced the existing screws. Hopefully these will resist corrosion and rust. Let me know if you find any better solutions.

20190404_185659.jpg 20190404_185920.jpg

Attachments

• LRG_DSC02716.JPG
    LRG_DSC02716.JPG
    651.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Helpful
Reactions: Glamisduner
That black piece came on cars built towards the end of 2018 (sorry, dont recall the month), not exclusive to Canadian models. If I recall correctly, the trunk is different. So buying the black plastic piece wont fit the same on an older trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: phigment
What's the point of that black piece? To prevent any potential rust or corrosion from touching the car's paint?
prevents the plate from rubbing your paint. The trunk is curved so standard plate holders press into the trunk. The holder that comes with the 3 is crafted to avoid this (has a backing with felt where it touches the car), but most aftermarket holders will rub the paint even with weatherstripping or rubber added to them.

Also looks easier to replace than the plastic bushings, lots of people have trouble with the ones on the 3 because they are a small (non standard?) size, and like the strip or spin.

I wonder what other trunk changes there are though.

• Helpful
Reactions: tracksyde and zhu-
prevents the plate from rubbing your paint. The trunk is curved so standard plate holders press into the trunk. The holder that comes with the 3 is crafted to avoid this (has a backing with felt where it touches the car), but most aftermarket holders will rub the paint even with weatherstripping or rubber added to them.

Also looks easier to replace than the plastic bushings, lots of people have trouble with the ones on the 3 because they are a small (non standard?) size, and like the strip or spin.

I wonder what other trunk changes there are though.
Good point, but I wonder if a large housing is better. You now have points of contact beween the entire plastic housing and the paint. The '''old" style only touches the paint where the 4 nylon standoffs are inserted. The tesla frame avoids any contact with the waited surface because it only rests on the nylon standoffs.

Good point, but I wonder if a large housing is better. You now have points of contact beween the entire plastic housing and the paint. The '''old" style only touches the paint where the 4 nylon standoffs are inserted. The tesla frame avoids any contact with the waited surface because it only rests on the nylon standoffs.
No the metal backing touches the paint too, but instead of sharp edges Tesla folds the metal over and adds felt. The center of the plate top and bottom is where it touches due to the curvature of the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde