Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE folks with Tesla systems, anything you wish you'd known first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other half's parents are curious about solar and I'm thinking I'll help guide 'em through as much as I can since they're not tech savvy. With them on the other side of the state down in the Inland Empire I figured I'd do some recon and see what I can find out first just in case there's any known weirdness.

Any tips or gotchas I should be aware of?

The other half's parents are curious about solar and I'm thinking I'll help guide 'em through as much as I can since they're not tech savvy. With them on the other side of the state down in the Inland Empire I figured I'd do some recon and see what I can find out first just in case there's any known weirdness.

Any tips or gotchas I should be aware of?

Not really, its basically the same as what you likely went through. You mention they are in the inland empire, which is where I am and a couple other posters (although its a big county).

Inspections depend on what city you are in, not just county (in my case, I live in temecula and I believe the permits are filed there, and the city inspection was from temecula, not riverside county).

Its almost as much of a backlog down here as up there, though, as far as permitting, etc. Not quite as bad, but its there.

With tesla, its still more "need to stay on top of your tesla advisor and push things forward" which is the same up there and down here.

Reactions: run-the-joules
I am in Riverside County. Shopped around and Tesla had the best solar package pricing.
EZ to order on line, and you do not need to have solar salespeople spending 3+ hours with you on their in home presentations.
Takes several months to step through the process, but Tesla kept me up to speed all the way. Like their cars, they are in super high demand, and tend to work as efficiently as possible with minimal interaction.

You go online, submit your electric usage with a copy of your bill. Give them your address and get a quote in 5 minutes.
You can choose between about 6 different sized systems. All cost about the same per output. Will calculater your estimated time to recover Solar costs.
If you want to order you give them $100 via credit card.
Then you wait for them to get back to you with an engineered proposal with site plans and your approval to move forward.
They will then send out an inspector to go up on the roof and determine if they are good to go for installation.
Then they will schedule an installation date.
Took about 3 hours to put on my small system. Power needed to be off in some circuits for about 15 minutes in my case.
They scheduled a city inspection and met with the inspector.
Shortly after passing City Inspection they asked for final payment.
Then moved forward to get Utility company to accept the system into their grid and you are told to turn your switch to ON.
Then running on Sunshine")

Some months later they will be sending me a $400 rebate check for self referring.

Reactions: run-the-joules