Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SCE True Up Credit? NEM 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SCE annual true up was last month and showed a year to date generation credit of -$381.52. During this last bill, they also paid me back $96.07 that I was charged through out the year. What happens the the rest of the credit? This current bill shows everything has reset, but I never got the remaining credit from last year. Also, I thought SCE does an annual true up, why did I have to pay SCE monthly, then wait till the end of the year to get my $96 back?

Screen Shot 2023-09-25 at 6.55.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-25 at 7.02.30 PM.png

There is no "rest" to get back. If you are a net generator during the year, the total gets actually paid out at a much smaller number than the 1:1 credit.

Also, I thought SCE does an annual true up, why did I have to pay SCE monthly, then wait till the end of the year to get my $96 back?

Because you pay the minimum charges monthly, thats the way it works.

TL ; DR I dont see any issues here, and you wont be getting the balance of the difference between 381.52 and the 96.07 you were paid back, as thats not how the payout works. You either need to use more power during the year, or see if you can roll over the balance (I dont know if you can).

Upvote 0
There is no "rest" to get back. If you are a net generator during the year, the total gets actually paid out at a much smaller number than the 1:1 credit.

Because you pay the minimum charges monthly, thats the way it works.

TL ; DR I dont see any issues here, and you wont be getting the balance of the difference between 381.52 and the 96.07 you were paid back, as thats not how the payout works. You either need to use more power during the year, or see if you can roll over the balance (I dont know if you can).
The balance does get rolled over. Each month will be negative until the costs for those months exceed the remaining negative balanced carried over from the previous months. They will end up having about 4 to 6 months of no bill.

Upvote 0
My SCE annual true up was last month and showed a year to date generation credit of -$381.52. During this last bill, they also paid me back $96.07 that I was charged through out the year. What happens the the rest of the credit? This current bill shows everything has reset, but I never got the remaining credit from last year. Also, I thought SCE does an annual true up, why did I have to pay SCE monthly, then wait till the end of the year to get my $96 back?
You only get 1:1 for all grid export matching grid use. Additional export is bought back at whole sale. The -$381.52 shows the net retail value. You only get back the whole sale value of that excess production, which is $96.07.

You will continue to have a negative bill until the $96.07 no longer covers the fees from each monthly bill. That negative balance will continue to be carried over until it is no longer negative. I calculate you will have about 4 to 6 months of not having to pay your monthly bill.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Upvote 0
Anyone know why the baseline credit is owed to them and not to you? I see this on my bill too for baseline credit. Why sending back energy cost me money? Usually using energy gets a baseline credit but since it's negative x negative it becomes a positive so $44.42 is taken away from his credit.

Upvote 0
Anyone know why the baseline credit is owed to them and not to you? I see this on my bill too for baseline credit. Why sending back energy cost me money? Usually using energy gets a baseline credit but since it's negative x negative it becomes a positive so $44.42 is taken away from his credit.
Baseline credit is just a reduced rate for usage below the baseline amount. This isn't reflected in the rates, and is deducted (or added) at the end of the billing cycle. If you use electricity then the amount you pay for that portion below the baseline is reduced, giving you a credit at the end of the month. If you supply electricity then the amount you receive for the portion below the baseline is similarly reduced by the same amount. This results in you having to "pay" the credit, which is the difference between the rate and the reduced baseline. In other words, the amount on the bill at the end of the month is based on the rate, but since you sold some of your electricity back at a discount (that portion below the baseline) you have to reimburse them for the difference. It's an adjustment to account for the difference between the rate and the reduced baseline.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
In other words, the amount on the bill at the end of the month is based on the rate, but since you sold some of your electricity back at a discount (that portion below the baseline) you have to reimburse them for the difference.

Yeah, this is what I don't understand. I think it should be $0, but now i understand i need to reimburse them. I used to get around $20 credit because I was under every month, but since I have solar, I owe them around $20 every month for the credit. I have since swapped to 4-9 prime and now It ended up being a little better. There is a higher daily usage so thats around $12/month.

Upvote 0
Yeah, this is what I don't understand. I think it should be $0, but now i understand i need to reimburse them. I used to get around $20 credit because I was under every month, but since I have solar, I owe them around $20 every month for the credit. I have since swapped to 4-9 prime and now It ended up being a little better. There is a higher daily usage so thats around $12/month.
You don't "owe" SCE anything, it is just an adjustment to reflect the actual retail price of the kWh for this tariff that looks really weird when you are on NEM 2.0 and exporting more than you are using. SCE, and PG&E, breaks out the credit for below the baseline usage as separate line item, but they could have just as easily adjusted the kWh charges for Peak from $0.26304 to $0.16913 and Off-Peak from $0.21966 to $0,12575 and you would have the same result.

Since you are a net generator, the tariff pricing doesn't really matter to you as the result is the same if your annual credit is -$500 versus -$100 as both just get zero'ed out. What matters is how much you import, for NBC charges, and your net exported kWh for NSC payment to you. Keep your total NBCs under your total MDCs and the only thing you pay on an annual basis are the MDCs and you get a credit/check for the net exported kWh.

Upvote 0