Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confused about SCE PTO and NEM 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a long-awaited PTO from SCE for a battery-only installation (solar panel system was installed in 2019). As expected, the PTO confirms that I will be (remain) under the NEM 2.0 program which I have been on since 2019. However, it goes on to say ...

"The Solar Billing Plan will compensate customers for energy exported to the grid based on the electricity’s value in each hour of the day. The value of these credits vary by time of day and season and generally follow TOU periods. The value of these credits will usually be lower than the rate that customers pay for electrical service, just as the market price SCE pays for energy from other sellers is lower than the retail price of its electrical service."

I thought that NEM 2.0 provides for export credits equal to the rate customers pay. Am I missing something or is the "usually" in that sentence meant to cover folks that are under NEM 3.0?

The "Solar Billing Plan" is SCE's NEM 3.0 implementation.

Since earlier in the email they confirmed that you remain on NEM 2.0 I would guess this might just be a form letter error and they reference this on all their new PTO emails.
Now that I look more carefully, it looks like they are planning to transition me to NEM 3.0. I saw the reference to NEM 2.0 and assumed all was well. Now I see that's only temporary until their billing system is updated and I will be transitioned to the Solar Billing Plan.

"Although the Solar Billing Plan has been approved by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), effective April 15, 2023, we will be working for the next several months to update our billing system to meet the requirements for this new program offering. As a result, your account will initially be billed under the provisions of the Net Energy Metering (NEM) 2.0 program, and then transition to the Solar Billing Plan following billing system implementation. Under NEM 2.0, your bill will detail the energy you used from SCE’s grid and the energy you provided back, as well as any charges or credits for the difference and other fees.

Your account will be set-up under the NEM 2.0 program within a few billing cycles following the date of this notice. Participating customers are required to take service under a Time-of-Use (TOU) rate plan. Residential customers not already on a TOU rate plan will transition to TOU-D-4-9PM. Customers may take service under another TOU rate plan for which they are eligible. "

This is so obviously wrong. I have reached out to my provider who filed the paperwork. Any suggestions on how or who to contact directly at SCE to get this sorted?

Now that I look more carefully, it looks like they are planning to transition me to NEM 3.0. I saw the reference to NEM 2.0 and assumed all was well. Now I see that's only temporary until their billing system is updated and I will be transitioned to the Solar Billing Plan.

"Although the Solar Billing Plan has been approved by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), effective April 15, 2023, we will be working for the next several months to update our billing system to meet the requirements for this new program offering. As a result, your account will initially be billed under the provisions of the Net Energy Metering (NEM) 2.0 program, and then transition to the Solar Billing Plan following billing system implementation. Under NEM 2.0, your bill will detail the energy you used from SCE’s grid and the energy you provided back, as well as any charges or credits for the difference and other fees.

Your account will be set-up under the NEM 2.0 program within a few billing cycles following the date of this notice. Participating customers are required to take service under a Time-of-Use (TOU) rate plan. Residential customers not already on a TOU rate plan will transition to TOU-D-4-9PM. Customers may take service under another TOU rate plan for which they are eligible. "

This is so obviously wrong. I have reached out to my provider who filed the paperwork. Any suggestions on how or who to contact directly at SCE to get this sorted?
That sucks. 866-701-7868 is the number on SCE's website for NEM customers. I would start there in addition to working with your installer.

I would recommend by starting with the paperwork that your installer would have had you sign for NEM for the powerwalls. Make sure it says NEM 2.0 on it.

Read through this thread, which, although NEM 1.0 to 2.0 (instead of 2.0 to 3.0 like you) is very similar.

Update: I sat on hold for 60 minutes to talk to a representative at SCE in their solar interconnect department. He was very understanding of my concerns and assured me that I would not be transitioned to NEM 3.0. However, he could not explain why my PTO letter said I would. He tried to give me assurances but the best he could do is refer me to the faq page on their website that confirmed what I already knew - that simply adding battery storage does not trigger a change to NEM 3.0. He did review the paperwork that was submitted by my contractor and confirmed that they did it right.

Not sure what my next steps will be. Wait and see or be proactive and write a letter to the director.

• Informative
Reactions: h2ofun and yblaser