Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen tilt = passenger entertainment opportunity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer Model S vehicles after about May 2022 (sadly, not my Feb 2022) have motorized screen tilt of the main display towards or away from the driver.

At the most passenger tilted, the viewing angle is pretty extreme for the driver so as to make viewing the screen unrealistic.

I’m curious as to whether this might be considered a “safe” position to allow video and video games on the main monitor while the car is in motion. This would allow the front passenger to enjoy movies or games on trips.

Obviously handhelds and portable devices are an alternative. Also not sure if the car has the processing power for both Steam games and FSD while moving. Still, a better argument could be made that entertainment such as video is only for passengers if screen tilt is maximized towards the passenger.

Why else would passenger tilt be a thing such that it has its own dedicated motor to tilt in that direction?

Games and entertainment videos are disabled on the main screen when driving (regulations require this). If the driver can possibly see it, even at an angle, it's not allowed. The infotainment computer is not used for FSD so there is no issue there. FSD has its own processors.

The passenger could use the maps or browser.

I do understand and I am familiar with the NHTSA discussions with Tesla in Dec 2021 to disable video games while in motion, resulting in an update that allows games only when parked. The NHTSA guidelines from 2013 “recommend that in-vehicle devices be designed so that they cannot be used by the driver to perform inherently distracting secondary tasks while driving.” Was just wondering at the senselessness of having a dedicated motor for a strong passenger tilt of the center screen. Does Tesla think this would prevent the driver from performing distracting secondary tasks on the center monitor?

Anyone determined to circumvent safety precautions does so using their smartphone or similar devices. Technically the driver could also be using the browser while in motion - should that trigger yet another “recall?”

Yep, it's a bit vague as to exactly what constitutes a distracting secondary task. Changing the cabin temperature could be a distracting task. Tesla is one of the few companies that leave the browser active when driving (Thank you, Tesla). It is limited and you can't get audio or video via the browser. I guess if you complain enough, NHTSA will ask Tesla to remove more features. I'd prefer if owners think it's dangerous to just not use those features.

I can still see reasons to have a passenger tilt. While I don't use the browser while driving, it could be handy for my passenger. My passenger may also be my navigator, where I still have a navigation screen in the instrument cluster. Alas, my S doesn't have the display tilt feature.

If you were closer, I'd be willing to swap display mechanisms if you don't want yours! :)