Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling 2015 Model S 85D with only 20k miles, plus a question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I’m a long time reader of TMC, haven’t posted a whole bunch though. I previously posted my car for sale and am hoping to repost it pointing out the lower price of $72,500 hoping to garner some interest.

The listing is located here: 2015 Tesla Model S 85D, only 19,900 miles, tons of options.

I also have a question I’m hoping to get some help with from the experts that cruise this forum. (If someone wants me to bring this question to a different forum I’m happy to do it, just let me know.)

I recently purchased a P90D with the intent of selling this car. (Loving the new car even more than my 85D which I didn’t think was possible). I reached out to Tesla finance and was told my payoff was $67,000. No problem as I figure I could easily sell the car for $65k-$70k. Come to find out after the fact, because the car is leased through Tesla Finance they won’t let me sell it private party, only trade in for a dealer at that value. If I wanted to sell private party I would have to make all my remaining payments (about $1,000/month) for the next 9-10 months then I could buy the car at the residual value. (I think it was about $63,000 or so)

This puts me in a predicament because now I’d have to pay off about $73,000 to sell the car private party, instead of the $67,000 I was originally planning on and I’m really not wanting to eat that $5k if I can’t get the $73k for the vehicle.

I’d also appreciate some feedback on what a good asking price for the car should be? It really is in perfect condition as it is my second child.

If I’d have to pay the remaining payments anyway, I was thinking of just keeping the car for longer trips as I still have about 25,000 miles left on the lease until lease end, which is in less than a year. But I don’t drive that much so I’m not sure I’d use it.

Does anyone else have any advice or ideas on how to come out of this ahead, or at least break even? Should I sell the car now? Hold onto it for 9-10 months and then sell it? Hold out for someone who’s willing to pay a bit more for the exact car they want? Start driving for Uber? (Kind of joking)

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jason

Sorry, it's 6k, not 5k...
Secondly jt because you dor"want to pay that difference" doesn't magically increase the value of the car, yo the point that you can simply ask for more and get it.
Why didn't you and tesla figure all this out before picking up your new P90D?

One thing I would recommend is to instead place the car on leaseswap. People May like the short lease term as they wait for their model 3 or other MS/X
Anyways, best of luck with the sale or lease ;-)

Left field but hey if your stuck with it...

Couple years ago (Before I bought my tesla) I was in a wierd state of having too many ML350s as I had two (wife and mine, then a 3rd as I bought her a new one and didn’t trade in her old one). So while the old one was for sale I listed listed it for a couple months on Turo.com and I was like Airbnb as I was getting plenty of weekly rentals and making some money off it. With tesla you could charge $125-175 a day (and add like min 3 day or longer). before end of lease and fill those 25k miles as needed and more than cover lease payments. They offer as part of your profit renter insurance to cover accidents to 100% repair value/loss, while it eats into profits I did get it on every rental I did to be safe.