Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling my Model X 75D Bought November 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jhiggins, you are probably the only one that going to be able to get the $7,500 tax credit. I had a White 60 for 5 months and sold it, and ordered a Red P85. I got both $7500 tax credits in the same year.

If you don't take it, it will likely be wasted. Check with your tax guy. You will take less a hit on the price you have to sell it for, but you are likely going to have to adjust your price down the same $7500 because a new buyer would get it anyway.

Check with your tax guy.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
I purchased it as a 60 with verification through Tesla that it had a 75kw pack installed. We charge it to 100% as a 60kw which is +/- 86% of the 75kw rated mileage. When we decide we need the extra 4% for daily driving, or will use for a trip, we'll look at upgrading. Till then we'll either wait till the price drops more or unlock it for extra resale value when that time comes (maybe $8k net added value to upgrade at today's values).

Gotcha. Good deal for a 60. Haven't seen one with facelift under 60 yet and u always can make it a 75. I upgraded mine from a 70 to 75. Have the D model but got a great deal too. Curious to what the current prices are for used MS. Thanks

No worries, just food for thought. New owner cannot realize the $7,500.00 rebate on your vehicle. New inventory or loaner vehicles are discounted pretty well and still qualify for the rebate. We also don' know if the vehicle you're selling is one of those vehicles which might go for 85-90k direct from Tesla with an additional $7,500 tax credit available.
It's a tax credit, not a rebate.
I purchased it as a 60 with verification through Tesla that it had a 75kw pack installed. We charge it to 100% as a 60kw which is +/- 86% of the 75kw rated mileage.
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

I am not taking the credit, I can write off most of my usage for business. Does this effect whether the next buyer can claim the credit?
The next buyer can not claim the credit, it only applies to the first owner.

Same car new today would cost $95,050 and include the cold weather package as part of the current PUP. They'll be eligible for the $7,500 credit, so $87,550, potentially another $2,500 from the MA EV rebate.

I'd run the numbers and see if your business deduction is worth more than the straight up $7,500 credit. You're the only one eligible for the credit and while I'm not a tax professional, I don't see any reason why you'd be ineligible.

First year depreciation is hard, but you're fortunate that Tesla new and CPO inventory is pretty much non existent right now so your main competition is going to be new builds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue one