Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Issues, not recording??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So when I get back in my car after being at the gym for 2 hours, it will say for example "3 notification" and then I click sentry mode on the top right and then viewer and then there's absolutely no footage..I'm surrounded by cars and yet it only slows me a .5 sec clip of me getting in the car... It's done this every single time. I have a SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 if that matters.. Anyone have any advise??

Yup it is.. Very frustrating.. It said I had 3 notifications, and went to the viewer and nothing...
Pull the memory card and view it on your laptop, make sure it’s recording, if not then you will need to schedule a service ticket. What they had to do to mine was the 12volt shutdown reset from under the rear seat as my DashCam and Sentry mode wasn’t recording.

Fred

Try another USB drive. If only getting 0.5 sec saved, have to wonder if the USB drive is taking too much power to write the data and it stops, thus you only see a small amount. I would hold down the dashcam icon and start a recording, wait 20-30 seconds than then press it again to cancel. Then see what is on your drive.

Also, if you have a USB C to USB 3.0 hub, try unplugging the wireless charger on the left side, plug in that USB C hub instead on the left side, and your USB drive into that hub. Should not be any power issues on the USB C side. If the same USB drive works on that side, pretty good chance the lack of recording is related to power, but it could be something else too. Worth a shot.

Sometimes it has longer videos. It's very odd.. I have it plugged in and sentry mode doesn't even come up many times, like right now. Pretty sure it's set up correctly???? UGHH, frustrating..

Attachments

• IMG_9114.jpg
    IMG_9114.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_9115.jpg
    IMG_9115.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 301
What kind of memory card are you using? A high endurance one?how long have you used the memory card for? Have you try to format the card through the car? Well to troubleshoot, you need to isolate what is costing the issue. You can try a different memory card with the same USB adapter. If it works, you know it's the memory card that is having issue. If it doesn't, try a different usb adapter with the current memory card, if that works, then you know it's the usb adapter. Finally if you have a friend that also drives a Tesla, try your usb adapter and memory card in their car, if it works in their car, then it can be your car that has issue. But before you try all that , see if formatting the memory card works. Sometimes the simplest way to fix things is by formatting it. Good luck.

Assuming this is not normal???

From the video, it means that the USB device is now unplugged but it's still alerting you that there were two Sentry events...which you cannot view.

You'll get the "camera" icon next to the sentry icon when you have a valid USB device plugged in and formatted correctly.

Check your storage device and make sure it's plugged in properly.

Assuming this is not normal???

I had a similar issue with my usb. Can you formatted through the car’s option?

“To format a flash drive, simply insert it into a front USB port and select 'Safety & Security' > 'FORMAT USB DEVICE. ' This formats the USB flash drive as exFAT and creates a TeslaCam folder.”

If this option isn’t available and the car is not reading your usb properly, then the usb is bad. I ended up buying a new usb and then formatted through the car’s option and has been working fine since.

Any of this look normal at all?? When I had a notification I was in the city of Bettendorf. I was surrounded by cars, so i'm sure that's why.. Getting in my car is when I had the notification in this first video. Please someone tell me what the heck is going on.

As I mentioned I had a very similar issue as you. Let’s try to isolate the problem first. Let’s just ignore the sentry mode for now and see if your Tesla cam is working properly. Can you confirm you have the camera icon on when you drive with the red dot indicator on? Also confirm you have the honk to record option turn on. Drive around for 10 minutes and then honk your horn at the end of that 10 minute drive and see if your car saves that session.