Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam not recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I first took delivery of my MYLR in July the dashcam appeared to (as expected) record all my journeys, it was always on. Erasing the oldest recordings as the USB became full.

However after a while I noticed that it was missing footage (I'd also had a sentry issue where video was missing, if I had it set to SAVE 10 minutes it failed, two trips to service and the said turn it down to 3 minutes, and that's their "fix")

I could go for days with absolutely no footage, although I'd have some sentry recordings.

It's been into Tesla on 5 occasions, I'd provided video where I had travelled into the centre of town, had sentry videos from people walking past the car, but absolutely no recording of the journey. Tesla service said they would replace the glovebox, as their diagnostics showed a problem with the USB ports in the glovebox and the whole piece had to be replaced, but they returned it with a new USB stick, they also said on another occasion they replaced a wire. On another occasion they had the car for over a week and said they were going to replace the computer, but they just replaced the USB stick.

They are now saying they never said they were doing any of that work and that the camera's work fine and that I can change the settings for AUTO. MANUAL or HONK. However my understanding is that it records all the time, erasing oldest videos as needed when storage runs out, and that those options are for SAVE so that the recording is locked and can not be recorded over automatically, and that they are mixing up recording vs saving. As I believe this worked before, something is broken, possibly caused by a software update.

I'd love to hear from others, are you having a similar issue, and/or is your camera recording all journeys?

Reactions: Skavatar
However after a while I noticed that it was missing footage (I'd also had a sentry issue where video was missing, if I had it set to SAVE 10 minutes it failed, two trips to service and the said turn it down to 3 minutes, and that's their "fix")
I've never heard of any feature that lets you specify how many minutes are saved for a Sentry event -- it's always 10 minutes here. Is that a feature available only in Europe?

In general, if the dashcam is recording anything, it should be recording everything. If you're seeing some recordings but not all, try reformatting the USB. I've had to do that from time to time.

FWIW I've only had one Tesla, a 2023 M3P since mid-October. Only Manual setting of Dashcam automatically saves any recording of just driving. Not a very intuitive name for the setting. I thought automatic sounded like an optimal setting but as soon as I set that, I no longer had any recordings saved of just driving along until I switched back to manual setting. I have also added the dashcam icon to the bottom of the screen and tap it to permanently save 10 minutes in a separate folder. Did not want to honk to trigger a 10 minute save or complicate steering wheel control options by using them for a 10-minute recording.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skavatar
@EVRider-FL - Not sure if it's an EU feature or not, but it's there fore sure. Interesting you get 10 minutes, as I mentioned if I set it to 10 minutes then it fails to save it. Tesla service centre fix is to set it to 3 minutes, that's apparently a fix...jeezzzz

@Hoosier-Daddy - Thanks for the feedback, I'll try manual. You are right it's not an intuitive name at all. I presume if there's a crash it will auto save anyway, so now I'm wondering what Auto brings to the table, perhaps it's literally manually always save it, auto, only save if asked.

FWIW I've only had one Tesla, a 2023 M3P since mid-October. Only Manual setting of Dashcam automatically saves any recording of just driving. Not a very intuitive name for the setting. I thought automatic sounded like an optimal setting but as soon as I set that, I no longer had any recordings saved of just driving along until I switched back to manual setting. I have also added the dashcam icon to the bottom of the screen and tap it to permanently save 10 minutes in a separate folder. Did not want to honk to trigger a 10 minute save or complicate steering wheel control options by using them for a 10-minute recording.
Yeah I'm used to my viofo and other cameras that record until the card is completely full and only then erases the oldest files. Kind of annoying when my wife said she honked at someone and I look and it didn't record the incident, (someone cut into her lane and almost hit her from a right turn only lane) and of course was the afternoon before. On mine it seems the recent only records the last hour at most. I have both the on honk and the button on the dash for manual saves. But would still like more history, it's a 256GB drive and was 80% empty