Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shropshire to Portugal Trip - just completed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time reader on here and found a whole host of information so thought I’d share back my experiences for those interested for our road trip to Portugal.

We traveled in our 2021 M3LR

Dover to Calais via ferry

We had already got our Crit’air sticker from the French Government, which is law in certain areas of France. Only cost a few euros, just make sure the photo of the v5 (page 2 only) is around 400kb.

We had also purchased a Bip&Go and set up a direct debit in euros for this. The Bip&Go will allow you to travel through all tolls in France, Spain and Portugal with minimum of fuss. The little device (telepager) will beep and barriers open.

We also had the TesMate mattress for the car for the “Airès” on the French motorways. Which we used a lot and left the car in camping mode. I did use my phone to lock the doors and then turned Bluetooth off to avoid anyone opening my doors.

We had also signed up to Electroverse by octopus energy which allowed access to hundreds of chargers all over Europe and UK via their own contactless card. I used it once at Bidart services in France (last services before Spain) to allow us to get much deeper into Spain than the car had originally planned.

The route we had taken was Calais to Rouen to Le Mans to Niort all on the Tesla Supercharger network. Then Bidart which I used the Electroverse card for. For those wondering, the Tesla Superchargers are not at service stations on the continent, at least not where I went. All were easily accessible but off the motorways and usually at a hotel. Every hotel we stopped at allowed us to use their services and we also purchased coffees etc. On our return journey we stopped at Tours to charge at The Art Hotel. We arrived at 5am and the gates to the hotel were locked however, if you touch the charging point on your sat nav the information that is displayed has an access code to input to open the gates - I was super impressed with this!

From Bidart in France we managed to travel 4 hrs and 17 mins none stop covering 248 miles using 52kWh @ 208 Wh/mi. I found this extremely impressive with how hilly the start of Spain is with so much climbing.

We travelled just south of Coimbra in Portugal to a place called Penela. Here charging is a lot more difficult - I never found a charger that worked with Electroverse despite the app showing them as partnered. So in the end I travelled north of Coimbra to the Tesla superchargers - these were extremely busy but still managed to drive straight on.

We left Shropshire on Wednesday, Dover to Calais was at 17:25 and we were back at Calais on Sunday Evening for the 19:00 ferry back to the UK.

We slept in the car only, never used a hotel for overnight. Used the showers at the “Aires”, these are sometimes only available on the truckers side but easy to walk around to them.

Used mainly toll roads except on the return from Tours to Rouen. Tours to Rouen on the motorway would have needed to go via Le Mans supercharger and arrive on 22% at Rouen. Tours to Rouen avoiding tolls was direct and arrived with 44%.

I was anxious before going, had done the journey previously in a Mercedes c220 coupe diesel. The Tesla was so much more comfortable, efficient and I’d definitely do it again!

IMG_4051.jpeg
IMG_4053.jpeg
IMG_4070.jpeg
IMG_4043.jpeg

Interesting! I have a suitable mattress but not used yet.
We've got the tunnel booked in a couple of weeks time but as yet no plan. Was going to drive down to a BBQ at a friend's in Madrid, who knows?
If you were sleeping in the car, presumably you packed only enough that fitted in the frunk and sub frunk?

Thanks for sharing.
I enjoy the rat-like EV logos in the parking spots!
Regarding sleeping in the car, does the mattress enable you to lie flat? Would it work with me being 6ft1? And what's the power drain like overnight?
The rear seats, when folded flat in the M3 tilt upwards slightly. This wasn’t an issue as if you park on a slight gradient it counteracts the slope anyway. I’m 6ft and slept well every night. The second night was a comfortable temperature outside, so I turned on camping mode, then turned a/c off and kept the fan running on 2. I just cracked the window my side in the rear slightly to stop condensation. When I awoke after 6 hours in had used 1%. Then on Friday night I kept the a/c running set to 19 degrees and fans on 4. That was for 6 1/2 hours and used about 7%. The weather was horrid, raining and thunder storms and awoke with zero condensation again!

• Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
Interesting! I have a suitable mattress but not used yet.
We've got the tunnel booked in a couple of weeks time but as yet no plan. Was going to drive down to a BBQ at a friend's in Madrid, who knows?
If you were sleeping in the car, presumably you packed only enough that fitted in the frunk and sub frunk?
Yes, we took a small camping stove and kettle, two cups etc in the sub compartment. Set the bed up before we left. Packed the drunk but also had all the space between the back of the front seats and where the rear seats start. Having the bed made up hides all this stuff stored in the centre of the car. Any shopping we picked up on the way, we put on the mattress and just moved it to the front seats when we parked.

Which TesMat mattress did you use, the 1 piece rollable or the 3 piece foldable?

Did you use the TesMat privacy screen?
It was the 3 piece foldable. Set it all up prior to leaving, including our pillows and a throw. It comes with a sheet which tucks under the compartment cover in the boot, so that’s easily accessible still.
We also purchased some thermal screen covers from Amazon for about £40.

We left Shropshire on Wednesday, Dover to Calais was at 17:25 and we were back at Calais on Sunday Evening for the 19:00 ferry back to the UK.

We slept in the car only, never used a hotel for overnight. Used the showers at the “Aires”, these are sometimes only available on the truckers side but easy to walk around to them.

So you essentially drove, and slept in the car for most the ‘holiday’ and than took showers(and other Ss) in truck stop facilities…..Have to ask….Why??

This was our motivation to driving to Italy and Norway, driving all that way to stare at the back of lorries/public toilets doesn’t quite have the same appeal!!

53052570617_99376c6116_c_d.jpg

52221787152_35032d27a9_c_d.jpg