Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Black Wall Charger Award Date Sliding?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed on my phone that the date has slipped from “Available starting March 2018” to “Available starting May 2018” - anyone have the same?
I just contacted Tesla last week to find out when the wall charger would be shipping and they said starting in June. They received my referral award request on February 7th.

I've got a referral that says, per my iPhone Tesla App "Ordered 4/30/2018", but the actual delivery of the referral _car_ is next week. Since I'm going to use the Signature black WC for charging two cars -- I'm wondering how long a wait it is to get the Wall Connectors, in your experiences? @GOPJEW, did you get yours?

I've got a referral that says, per my iPhone Tesla App "Ordered 4/30/2018", but the actual delivery of the referral _car_ is next week. Since I'm going to use the Signature black WC for charging two cars -- I'm wondering how long a wait it is to get the Wall Connectors, in your experiences? @GOPJEW, did you get yours?
Not yet...it’s been months - don’t rely on referrals for things you “need”. I’d have an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 using the higher load wire, but a 50-Amp breaker (or 40 amp if using the newer charger) and then, when it finally arrives, simply have them swap out the outlet for new HPWC and the breaker for a 100 amp one...

Not yet...it’s been months - don’t rely on referrals for things you “need”. I’d have an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 using the higher load wire, but a 50-Amp breaker (or 40 amp if using the newer charger) and then, when it finally arrives, simply have them swap out the outlet for new HPWC and the breaker for a 100 amp one...
Thanks for this info. I was waiting on a referral to get the charger and was thinking about waiting to get it before I have an electrician come out. instead I'm doing what you mentioned here and installing the 14-50 for now and will have them swap out the outlet for the charger later whenever I get it.

Thanks for this info. I was waiting on a referral to get the charger and was thinking about waiting to get it before I have an electrician come out. instead I'm doing what you mentioned here and installing the 14-50 for now and will have them swap out the outlet for the charger later whenever I get it.
Please make sure they put the proper breaker too...otherwise it will overload the outlet and your charger...just have them use the #2 wire for the 100 amp when it is time to swap them...I did the same and have breaker waiting for HPWC to arrive...

Please make sure they put the proper breaker too...otherwise it will overload the outlet and your charger...just have them use the #2 wire for the 100 amp when it is time to swap them...I did the same and have breaker waiting for HPWC to arrive...

Wait, why do I need 100 amp? I bought a 75D, so I just need a 50A circuit right?

Also charging at home is going to be a hopefully rare occurrence. My work has like 14 - 18 EV charging stalls via chargepoint and there's an agreement between city of austin and chargepoint. I get unlimited charging at charging stations in the city for $50/yr. Therefore I will be charging at work, and leave work with my 80% charge and maybe top off over the weekend if I need to do some larger drives.

I definitely don't need super fast charging at home based on my situation, unless I'm missing something.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
When these new fancy wall-chargers DO ship, what do people plan to do with their old ones? From my understanding there may not be any difference "under the hood". I wondered if someone might offer their old (or new one) as a trade for a new referral.

Wait, why do I need 100 amp? I bought a 75D, so I just need a 50A circuit right?

Also charging at home is going to be a hopefully rare occurrence. My work has like 14 - 18 EV charging stalls via chargepoint and there's an agreement between city of austin and chargepoint. I get unlimited charging at charging stations in the city for $50/yr. Therefore I will be charging at work, and leave work with my 80% charge and maybe top off over the weekend if I need to do some larger drives.

I definitely don't need super fast charging at home based on my situation, unless I'm missing something.
You’re call...HPWC is capable of delivering the 72 amp your vehicle should be able to take (75D vs 100D is irrelevant to ability to receive the charge - 100 just takes longer to charge to full) - why not have it avail if you need a larger charge in a shorter time frame?

I have had a NEMA 14-50 for 3 years that runs a 40 amp Gen 1 Mobile Connector and have only wished I had greater capabilities a few times, but with the new Gen 2 30 amp ones it is even slower and there have been times I have come home late at night and left early and wanted more juice...

Everyone has different needs - I just don’t see why have something with capabilities you aren’t set up to utilize. You can always turn the switches down inside, but to have them run the wire and put the breaker in - you at least have the option....

You’re call...HPWC is capable of delivering the 72 amp your vehicle should be able to take (75D vs 100D is irrelevant to ability to receive the charge - 100 just takes longer to charge to full) - why not have it avail if you need a larger charge in a shorter time frame?

I have had a NEMA 14-50 for 3 years that runs a 40 amp Gen 1 Mobile Connector and have only wished I had greater capabilities a few times, but with the new Gen 2 30 amp ones it is even slower and there have been times I have come home late at night and left early and wanted more juice...

Everyone has different needs - I just don’t see why have something with capabilities you aren’t set up to utilize. You can always turn the switches down inside, but to have them run the wire and put the breaker in - you at least have the option....
Sounds good, I'll bring this up with the electrician to see what the additional work/materials would cost.

I thought the 75D only could handle 48 amps due to the onboard charger?

For our two Model S - we already have an HPWC (on a 100A circuit) and a 14-50 outlet with Tesla's 14-50 connector.

For our new Model X, we should be able to get either the kiddie Model S or the black HPWC - neither of which we really need or want.

Wish they offered a 3rd option - a $500 credit...