Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Smart Sentry Mode (Enables Sentry mode automatically)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be helpful if in the future Tesla did something similar with Sentry mode video but for now, the idea that you would want it recording every time you parked is not a great idea unless you want to do a lot of manual data management where you unplug the USB drive and clean it up every so often.

Actually if your car is fine and you don't see any damage, you can just batch delete the SavedClip files that were Sentry Mode recorded without investing much time for maintenance. Reformatting the drive takes no time at all. Just did a wipe of mine. Only thing to do was set up TeslaCam folder again quick and easy enough. It would be nice however if there was someway to distinguish a saved file from when you were driving (like road rage or accident) from a saved Sentry Mode clip. Right now they are all together in the same folder and not obvious from what I can tell without looking at the images a bit. My 128GB drive is a pretty decent size.

Last edited:
Any actual data on how much energy Sentry mode actually uses yet?
Left my Model 3 at the airport for a few days with sentry mode on and noted the energy consumption. Was gone a total of 56 hours and lost 62 miles of range, so slightly more than 1 mi/hr loss seems to be in the ballpark. Temperature was in the 40-65 F range, shaded, P3D.